Starkel warms up against Florida, available if needed

Photo by Photo by C. Morgan Engel

Freshman quarterback Nick Starkel completed 6 of his 13 passes for 62 yards before leaving the game with a leg injury. 

Redshirt freshman quarterback Nick Starkel was seen warming up in full pads before Texas A&M’s game against Florida Saturday evening.
Starkel has missed the past five games after suffering an ankle injury in the Aggies season-opener against UCLA. He had surgery the day after the game versus the Bruins.
Despite returning to the field in pads, it is doubtful Starkel would play unless absolutely needed in an emergency situation.
True freshman Kellen Mond will start at quarterback in his fifth straight game for A&M this evening. Mond continues to progress both as a passer and runner each week.
Mond worked with the first team offense during pregame team drills. Starkel was quarterback for the second team.
The return of Starkel is good news for the Aggies though, as senior Jake Hubenak has been sidelined and limited to emergency situation status due to a shoulder injury. Those injuries have left A&M with freshman Connor Blumrick and freshman walk-on Colton Taylor as backup options at quarterback the past three weeks.
Kickoff between the Aggies and Gators is set for 6 p.m. CT. The game will be televised on ESPN2.