Texas A&M infielder Ali Camarillo (2) thros to first during Texas A&M’s game against Louisiana at the NCAA Bryan-College Station Regional Final at Olsen Field on Sunday, June 2, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Camarillo, Aschenbeck selected by Athletics, Cubs to round out 2024 MLB Draft

Junior SS Ali Camarillo and senior LHP Evan Aschenbeck rounded out the 2024 MLB Draft for Texas A&M baseball on Monday as they were selected...

Stoiana named SEC Player of the Year, Perez earns Freshman of the Year honors

Photo by Connor May
Junior Mary Stoiana reacts to her winning set at Texas A&M’s match against Florida on Sunday, March 3, 2024, at the Mitchell Tennis Center. (© Connor May/The Battalion)

Texas A&M women’s tennis is still on its quest for a national title, but several players have already captured hardware to take home.

Junior Mary Stoiana, the top-ranked player in the nation, achieved SEC Player of the Year status for the second season in a row while Lucciana Perez was named the conference’s Freshman of the Year. Sophomores Nicole Khirin and Mia Kupres also joined Stoiana as First Team All-SEC recipients.

The conference announced the awards on Wednesday, April 24, which are voted on by the SEC’s 14 coaches. They are not allowed to vote for their own players.

A year removed from being the first Aggie to be named SEC Player of the Year, Stoiana became the conference’s first player to win the honor back-to-back since 2016. She went 19-2 in singles action, including an 11-1 mark in SEC play. The Connecticut product picked up six wins over top-40 opponents and two top-10 victories.

Stoiana became the conference’s winningest player for the second year in a row. She formed the country’s No. 7 doubles tandem alongside Kupres, going 6-1 against SEC opponents, featuring four ranked wins.

A native of Lima, Peru, Perez earned the program’s first Freshman of the Year accolade. She put together a 10-3 record in conference play, tied for the most wins by a freshman and on the highest-ranked courts. Perez teamed up with junior Jeanette Mireles for six doubles victories and made Second Team All-SEC plus the All-Freshman team.

Khirin went 10-1 in SEC singles matches in addition to an appearance in the Billie Jean King Cup as a representative of Israel. She coupled with fifth-year Sydney Fitch in doubles, where they led the Aggies with nine wins and two losses.

Kupres built on her 2023 Second Team All-SEC and All-Freshman selections with an upgrade to First Team. In addition to being a doubles force with Stoiana, she brought an 8-2 mark to Court 3 in singles.

A&M now turns to the NCAA Tournament, with its opponents and location for the first two rounds being announced on Monday, April 29 at 5:30 p.m. Individual championship competitors will be released on Tuesday, April 30.