Sweeping away the Bearkats

Photo by Jesse Everett

Junior Kendall Potts pitched for the last nine innings of the game, earning nine strikeouts.

A late sixth inning rally led Texas A&M softball to a 5-4 win over Sam Houston State University, capping off Wednesday’s double-header sweep against the Bearkats.
Sam Houston controlled much of game two against A&M, scoring twice in the fifth inning to set themselves up with a 4-0 lead.
Facing a bases loaded situation, freshman Baylee Klingler kicked off the comeback for the Aggies with a single to center-field in the bottom of the fifth to allow freshman Kayla Garcia to score.
Senior Riley Sartain hit her first career triple to right field to keep the momentum rolling in the sixth, and sophomore Dani Elder followed up with a single to bring Sartain home.
Garcia used a single to center field to close in on the Bearkats’ lead, earning an RBI as Elder scored. A fielder’s choice allowed freshman Taudrea Sinnie to tie the game at 4-4.
Junior Blake-Ann Fritsch notched the winning hit for the Aggies — a single to right field that sent sophomore Ashlynn Walls to third base, then home on an error.
Garcia led A&M with three hits, adding an RBI. Freshman Haley Lee and Klingler both followed with two hits, with Klingler also notching an RBI.
Junior Kendall Potts earned the win on the mound for the Aggies, pitching four innings to allow three hits, two runs and four strikeouts.
The Aggies faced three pitchers who combined to allow 13 hits and five runs while tossing three strikeouts.
The first game of the double-header was a much different story. A&M took an early 2-0 lead in the first inning to win 4-3.
Fritsch scored twice in the first game with two runs and two hits. Klingler also had two hits for the Aggies in game one, adding an RBI.
A&M head coach Jo Evans gave credit to Sam Houston State for being ready to compete in back-to-back games.
“It is a really big midweek getting the opportunity to play two games,” Evans told 12thman.com “I am really impressed with what Garrett Valis is doing over there. I think they are well coached, and he made some really good decisions out there. I thought they played very well.”
The Aggies will host Brigham Young University on Friday and Saturday for another double-header starting at 6 p.m