Swimming and Diving faces Auburn on the road

Photo by FILE

The Aggies men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams both will look to improve in multiple areas this season.

After topping both Michigan State and Notre Dame last weekend, the Texas A&M swimming and diving teams look to continue their early success as they face Southeastern Conference opponent Auburn’s No. 10-ranked men and No. 15 women’s teams Saturday afternoon.
“I’m sure it will be another good battle, some good competition,” Steve Bultman, Texas A&M women’s head coach, said. “We’re always looking forward to that. I’m looking forward to seeing how we can step up and improve from last week to this week.”
The No. 5 A&M women’s team outscored Michigan State 98-62 and triumphed over No. 25 Notre Dame 211-136 last weekend. The No. 15 men topped Michigan State 98-64 and Notre Dame 193.5-159.5.
The women broke several Notre Dame pool records in the win. Lisa Bratton broke the 200 back record with her first-place finish (1:55.13). Bethany Galat also broke a pool record, completing the 200 butterfly in 1:57.67.
Senior Beryl Gastaldello earned SEC Female Swimmer of the Week honors after leading the Aggies with three individual wins and three relay victories. The Miramas, France native broke the 100 free record with her time of 48.68, which is currently the fifth fastest time in the nation. She also hold the fifth fastest time in the nation in the 50 free (22.40), and the sixth fastest time in the 100 butterfly (53.43).
Bratton and Gastaldello were also part of the team that broke the 200 medley relay record with 1:39.34. Jorie Caneta and Amy Miller rounded out the team.
Mauro Castillo led the men, picking up two individual wins in the 200 IM (1:48.99) and the 100 breast (54.96). The senior was also part of the first-place 400 medley relay team.
Both Auburn teams picked up wins in last weekend’s double-header against Tennessee and Wisconsin. The women topped No. 14 Tennessee 181-172 and No. 12 Wisconsin 205-146. The men outscored No. 25 Wisconsin 256-97, but fell short to No. 18 Tennessee 180-173.
Auburn’s Hugo Gonzalez earned SEC Male Freshman of the Week for his four individual wins. His 3:47.78 time in the 400 individual medley is currently the fastest in the nation. Gonzalez also holds the second-fastest times in the 200 IM (1:47.15) and the 100 back (47.45).
The Aggies will take on the Tigers on Saturday, Oct. 21 at 1 p.m. at the Martin Aquatics Center in Auburn, Alabama.