Swimming and Diving open season with victory over Norte Dame

Photo by Russel James/TAMU Athletics

Women’s swimming raduate Sarah Gibson was named the 2016-17 CoSID Academic All-American of the Year

The Texas A&M men and women’s swimming and diving teams made a splash in their season openers as they faced Notre Dame on Friday.
The No. 5 women’s team kicked off the event in the 200-meter freestyle relay, with teams placing first, third, fifth, and seventh. The first-place team, headed by Beryl Gastaldello, completed the race in 1:30.65. Notre Dame took second with 1:31.62.
Gastaldello also helped the 400-yard medley relay team to a first place victory. The senior also led the Aggies in the 100-yard freestyle with 48.68. Also swimming in the race were Kristin Malone (3rd, 49.95), Katie Portz (4th, 50.02), Claire Rasmus (6th, 50.61), and Haley Yelle (11th, 53.91).
Yelle led the Aggies in the 500-yard freestyle with her second place finish. The freshman narrowly missed the first place title, finishing at 4:49.66 behind Notre Dame swimmer Molly Treble’s 4:49.60. Following her were Rasmus (3rd, 4:50.64), Joy Field (5th, 4:54.32), and Karling Hemstreet (6th, 4:56.46).
The women swept the top four places in the 200-yard individual medley. Swimmers included senior Bethany Galat (1:59.00), Lisa Bratton (1:59.80), Monika Gonzalez-Hermosillo (2:01.00), and Esther Gonzalez (2:03.61).
The duo of Gonzalez-Hermosillo (1:04.29) and Gonzalez (1:04.80) placed sixth and eighth respectively in the 100-yard breaststroke. Leading the Aggies in that category was Jorie Caneta in first place with 1:00.81. Anna Belousova followed in second with 1:01.42.
The women rounded out the day with first place victories in the 200-yard butterfly, 200-yard backstroke, and the three-meter diving events.
The men took first place titles in the 200-yard individual medley, 200-yard backstroke, 100-yard breaststroke, 100-yard freestyle, 200-yard butterfly, one-meter diving, and 400-yard medley relay.
Senior Mauro Castillo led the men in the 200-yard individual medley, placing first in 1:48.99. Notre Dame’s Nick Milikich placed second with 1:49.55. An Aggie trio of Angel Martinez (1:49.73), Brock Bonetti (1:50.16), and Austin van Overdam (1:50.51) followed.
Castillo also led in the 100-yard breaststroke (54.96) and was a part of the first place 400-yard medley relay team (3:13.80).
Bonetti took first place in the 200-yard backstroke, leading a trio of Aggies with a time of 1:44.74. Anthony Kim (3rd, 1:45.40) followed him, with Cameron Kerr (6th, 1:50.78) and Duncan Mulleady (1:52.28) rounding out the group.
In the 100-yard freestyle, Adam Koster placed first in 44.22. Sophomore Mike Thibert tied for third with Notre Dame’s Tabahn Afrik (44.49).
Martinez took first place in the 200-yard fly for the Aggies with a time of 1:47.90.
The men failed to secure first place in only two races: the 200-yard freestyle relay (2nd, 1:21.28) and the 500-yard freestyle, in which Ben Walker placed third with 4:30.83.
The two Aggie teams will face Notre Dame again at 11 a.m. on Saturday.