Swimming and diving to host Art Adamson Invitational

The Texas A&M swimming and diving teams will be back in action Nov. 19-21 when they will host the Art Adamson Invitational at the Texas A&M Natatorium.

The Aggie men (4-0) enter this week’s meet undefeated. The Aggies, who last competed Nov. 5 and 7th on a two meet trip to Florida, defeated the Indian River State Pioneers 150-84 and the Florida Atlantic Owls 137-87.

Junior Jacob Gonzales and freshman Angel Martinez were standouts for the Aggies against the FAU, sweeping the 50 and the 100 meter free swim and the 400 IM and 200 butterfly, respectively.

Meanwhile, the women (4-1) hosted rival Texas on Nov. 6, which resulted in the Aggies first loss of the season and first home loss since 2013.

The Aggies began the meet strong with a first place finish in the 200 yard medley relay with a time of 1:40.47. Junior diver Madison Hudkins was the only victor for A&M with an overall score of 322.27 and 349.50 on the one and three meter dives, respectively.

The Art Adamson Invitational is held in honor of one of the most decorated swimming coaches in A&M history. Art Adamson coached in Aggieland for 35 years, producing All-Americans and Olympians as well as winning numerous conference championships during his tenure.

The Aggies will face SMU, TCU, Arizona State, LSU, Utah, Air Force, Boise State, Stanford, San Diego State and Nebraska, whom will only bring divers to the invitational.

Sophomore Brock Bonetti said he is looking forward to this weekend’s meet since this will be the first time this season the distances are being switched because it is an Olympic year.

“This year it is a little unique because we’ll be swimming long course meters in the morning, then switching the pool to short course at night because it is an Olympic year,” Bonetti said. “We’ve done a really good job of getting a lot of the long course swimming under your belt then just start racing.”
The meet will begin Thursday morning and will continue through Saturday evening at the Texas A&M REC Natatorium.