Texas A&M pitcher Evan Aschenbeck (53) throws a pitch during Texas A&M’s game against Florida at the NCAA Men’s College World Series semifinal at Charles Schwab Field in Omaha, Nebraska on Sunday, June 19, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Aggies defeat Gators 6-0 to advance to first College World Series finals
Kolton Becker, Sports Writer • June 20, 2024

There’s always a first for everything.  For the first time in program history, Texas A&M baseball is headed to the Men’s College...

Szeryk wins second consecutive title, team finishes runner-up in Tulsa

Photo by Courtesy of Texas State Athletics

Senior Maddie Szeryk tied for fifth at 6-over-par at the Trinity Forest Invitational.

Texas A&M women’s golf were in Tulsa, Oklahoma early this week competing in the Dale McNamara Invitational where standout senior Maddie Szeryk won her second consecutive individual title. As a team, the Aggies finished in second place at 30-over par (870).
Texas A&M fired the best final round of the day, 12-over par, to finish runner-up and ended the tournament with five players inside the top-25 on the leaderboard. Oklahoma State went on to win the tournament by five strokes, at 25-over par (865).
“I am proud of the way we fought today,” Texas A&M head coach Trelle McCombs said to 12thman.com. “The girls settled in nicely after a shaky start, even getting to within a couple of shots at one point.”
Szeryk’s win comes after her victory at the Bruzzy Challenge just a week ago and is the first Aggie golfer to win back-to-back tournaments since 2015. The reigning SEC golfer of the week won her fourth career title with a round of 70 followed by a pair of 71’s to finish the week at two-over par, two shots ahead of the field. Szeryk was third in par 4 (+2) and par 5 (-1) scoring for the tournament.
“Maddie winning for the second time in two weeks is awesome,” McCombs added to 12thman.com. “She knew she was a few back coming down the stretch and needed to make some birdies. She’s really starting to put together some great rounds at the right time.”
Freshman Amber Park, who held the lead with Szeryk after two rounds, fired a five-over par final round to finish the tournament in seventh place at six-over par. For the week, she was first in par 4 scoring, playing those holes at one-over par, and tied for first in total birdies with 10. This was Park’s third top-10 finish of the season.
Ending the tournament at eight-over par, Courtney Dow finished in a tie for ninth. The sophomore trended in the right direction with her scores over the three rounds, opening with 75 and 73, before firing an even-par 70 that saw her finish inside the top-10. Dow was tied for fourth in par 4 scoring (+3) and tied for eighth in total birdies (7) for the week.
Rounding out the team were freshmen Morgan Lay (+16) and Ariana Saenz (+26), who tied for 24th and 46th, respectively. Lay was tied for fourth in par 3 scoring (-1) and tied for eighth in total birdies (7) for the tournament.
Competing as individuals, junior Chloe Velasco tied for 16th at 13-over par, while freshman Elizabeth Caldarelli finished at 32-over par in 63rd place.
The Aggies will now look to Hoover, Alabama where they will travel later this month to compete in the SEC Championship on April 18-22