Texas A&M Athletic Director Eric Hyman stepping down from position

Texas A&M University announced Tuesday that athletic director Eric Hyman will be stepping down.

Hyman has served as the university’s athletic director since 2012. Prior to his time at A&M, Hyman served as the athletic director at VMI, Miami University (OH), TCU and South Carolina. Hyman also held the position of President of the IA Athletic Directors Association.

Hyman released a statement Tuesday regarding his departure.

“I appreciate my time here at Texas A&M University and I am proud of our student-athletes’ achievements both on the field and in the classroom,” Hyman said. “The best part of an AD’s job is forming wonderful relationships with student-athletes, colleagues, former students and Texas A&M has been no exception. I will always value my time here and the friendships I have made with Aggies. I wish Texas A&M University nothing but continued success.”

Texas A&M University President Michael K. Young thanked Hyman for his time at A&M in a statement. 

“I want to thank Eric for the service he has provided Texas A&M during his time as athletic director,” Young said. “He has shown a high level of integrity and professionalism in his role as AD and improved both our student-athlete academic and athletic performance through facility improvements, nutritional enhancement through the RC Slocum Nutritional center and preparation for life after college through upgrading the Life Skills program.  His relationships and insights within the Southeastern Conference have been extraordinarily helpful to Texas A&M Athletics along with his five-year strategic plan.  I fully expect Eric to make a positive impact in whatever endeavor he pursues next.”

This is the fourth major change for Texas A&M Athletics in the last month after the transfers of quarterbacks Kyle Allen and Kyler Murray as well as the Aggie football program and offensive coordinator deciding to mutually part ways.

Hyman will continue to serve as athletic director until a replacement is hired.