Texas A&M falls to No. 9 LSU in SEC opener

Photo by Cassie Stricker

The Aggies meet in the circle.

No. 10 LSU scored eight times in the fifth inning to lead the Tigers to a 17-3 win over Texas A&M softball as the Aggies opened Southeastern Conference play at Davis Diamond on Friday.
“We have to tip our hat to LSU,” A&M head coach Jo Evans said. “They’ve been hitting the ball really well and scoring a lot of runs. When you have a good hitting team that hits through the lineup, it puts yourself in a tough situation.”
A&M struggled on the mound as sophomore Kayla Poynter and redshirt freshman Hannah Mayo allowed a combined 17 runs on 13 hits. Poynter had one strikeout for the Aggies.
Senior Shemiah Sanchez had a big night for LSU, leading the Tigers by driving in four runs. Sanchez notched a four RBI home run to contribute to LSU’s big fifth inning performance and allow junior Amanda Doyle, sophomore Shelbi Sunseri and junior Akiya Thymes to score.
Senior Michaela Schlattman also added four RBIs and recorded two runs and two hits.
Four other Tigers also added two runs for LSU: freshman Savannah Stewart, Sunseri, Doyle, and Schlattman.
A&M only had three runs on the night by freshman Madi Jatzlau, senior Riley Sartain, and freshman Haley Lee. Junior Kelbi Fortenberry led the Aggies with two hits in three at-bats, while Lee batted in two runs for A&M.
After the first inning ended tied 2-2, LSU had an offensive explosion in the second inning, scoring four times and notching four runs on three hits.
“I was pleased in the first inning to see them go out there and strike the ball to score a couple runs,” Evans said. “I like the fight I saw right there.”
An infield fly by Sanchez preceded a costly A&M throwing error in the second inning that allowed Stewart to score and extend LSU’s lead to 5-2. A&M then suffered a scoreless second inning, notching only one hit and leaving two on base.
A pitching change for A&M in the top of the fourth ultimately hurt the Aggies, as Mayo walked four consecutive batters help the Tigers widen their lead to 17-3.
The Aggies will take on LSU again Saturday in the second installment of the three-game series at 3 p.m. at Davis Diamond.