Texas A&M football reacquires offensive line coach Jim Turner

Jim+Turner
Photo by Via 12th Man
Jim Turner

Former Texas A&M offensive line coach Jim Turner will work in Aggieland for the second time in his career. He will reassume his position at A&M despite accepting a coaching position at Cincinnati last month.
Turner was the Aggies’ offensive line coach under Mike Sherman from 2008-2011. Despite ranking near the bottom of the country for rush offense in his first season with A&M, he managed to get a top-30 finish in 2009 and a top-25 finish in 2011 for rush offense.
Turner was hired by the Miami Dolphins as an offensive coordinator in 2012, and was later fired in 2014 following the Bullygate dilemma in 2013.
In his initial stint with A&M, Turner influenced three future NFL first-round draft picks. Luke Joeckel — the second-overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, Jake Matthews — the sixth -overall pick in the 2014 Draft and Cedric Ogbuehi — the 21st-overall pick in the 2015 Draft.
Turner will be the third offensive line coach in three years at A&M,  following B.J. Anderson and Dave Christensen. Christensen was let go past Sunday.
Replacing Turner, Anderson’s first season in 2012 improved the Aggies to No. 12 in rushing offense, but then fell off of the map with his 2013 and 2014 offensive lines, ranking No. 46 and No. 78, respectively.
Under Christensen, A&M gave up the second most sacks in the SEC while it finished eighth in rushing offense. The Aggies finished overall at No. 60 in rushing in the nation with 2,198 yards.
With the recent acquisition of Noel Mazzone as the new offensive coordinator for Texas A&M, the Aggies may continue reconstructing their offensive coaching staff in preparation for the 2016 football season.