Texas A&M football season opener moved

Photo by Photo by C. Morgan Engel

The Texas A&M run out of the tunnel and onto Kyle Field for their match-up against No. 1 Alabama on October 7.

Tuesday morning, the Southeastern Conference announced that the Aggies’ opening game of the season would be moved from Saturday, Sept. 1 to Thursday Aug. 30.

Texas A&M president Michael K. Young sent a statement via email to the student body regarding the game shortly after the SEC made the announcement. 
“We are excited about the new season and the opportunities that this news brings to get out in front of many other season opener games across the nation and in a primetime slot for this game,” Young said. 
A&M athletic director Scott Woodward released a statement saying the administration is excited to start off the 2018 season while officially beginning the Jimbo Fisher era in a national TV spot.
“We appreciate the SEC highlighting our season opener with Coach Jimbo Fisher in prime time,” Woodward said. “We also appreciate the cooperation of President Young and our faculty and staff at Texas A&M University working with us to bring this game to the country.”
Young said A&M officials are already making plans to ensure that the game will not disrupt classes during the first week of the semester. 
“Although six months out, we always look forward to the start of the school year and our next football season, and this year to also welcoming new coach Jimbo Fisher,” Young said. “A campus task force is underway to account for class, parking, transportation schedules and other logistics in order to keep university business on track while hosting a great game that night.”
Kickoff against Northwestern State is set for 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 30 at Kyle Field.