Texas A&M golf finishes third at Aggie Invitational

Photo by Photo via 12th Man

Sophomore Chandler Phillips finished tied for 127th at the NCAA Championships. 

Texas A&M Men’s Golf comped at home this week, hosting the Aggie Invitational. Originally slated as a 54-hole tournament, the competition had to be shortened 36 holes due to inclement weather on Sunday. The Aggies finished in 3rd place with a total score of 1-over par. LSU won the tournament at 11-under par, one shot ahead of Baylor.

“Shooting one-over par on this golf course today [Saturday] is not bad,” head coach J. T. Higgins told 12thman.com after the first 36 holes of the event. “Obviously, two other teams played better but there are a lot of good teams here that didn’t keep it around par. I’m pretty pleased with that. I thought the team battled and gave great effort today.”  

It was another impressive showing from junior Cameron Champ who finished in a tie for 2nd at 5-under par, just one shot off the lead. Champ was tied for first in par 5 scoring and tied for third in par 4 scoring for the week, and was one of only four players to record an eagle. The junior’s consistent play allowed him to shoot under par both days of the tournament.

Sophomore Chandler Phillips notched a solo-15th place finish after firing two even-par rounds this weekend. Also recording a top-20 finish was sophomore Brandon Smith, who finished in a tie for 19th at 2-over par. Both players were tied for sixth in par 4 scoring for the week.
“Cam played great, it was nice to see him have success here,” Higgins told 12thman.com. “I was also really happy with Brandon. He went from thinking he wasn’t going to get a chance to play to being in the lineup and had a chance to have two really nice rounds but didn’t quite finish them off. Overall, he did a great job for us.”

Rounding out the Aggie team this week were junior Andrew Paysse, who finished in a tie for 43rd, and freshman Josh Gliege, who finished the week in a tie for 56th. Paysse started his week slow, carding a 77, however improved his play on day two to card a one-over par 73. Gliege’s second round 80 dropped him twenty-two spots on the leaderboard.

Texas A&M also had four players competing as individuals. Sophomore Max Miller shot 2-under par on day two to jump up into a tie for 28th. Seniors Jake Goodman and Dylan Siebenaler shared a tie for 58th, while senior Mickey Werenski finished his week in 74th place.

This was the Aggies’ final regular season tournament, as their next stop will be St. Simons Island, Georgia to compete in the SEC Championship.