Texas A&M heads to Ole Miss on win streak

Photo by Photo by: Morgan Engel
Women’s Basketball Preview

Coming off a huge win over No. 11 Mississippi State , in which the Aggies had to overcome an 11-point first-half deficit, the No. 15 Texas A&M women’s basketball team will travel to Oxford, Mississippi on Monday to take on Ole Miss.
The last time the two teams played, the Aggies (17-7, 7-4 SEC) handily defeated the Rebels (10-14, 2-9 SEC) 81-58. The Jan. 14 affair marked the last time that the Aggies have played a game decided by more than 10 points.
As a testament to how competitive A&M has played and how tough the SEC has been this season, the Aggies have played in seven straight games decided by fewer than 10 points. It is the longest such streak in school history since the 1976-1977 season.
The Aggies, who are coming off a brutal stretch in which they played a ranked team in six of seven games, will play four unranked teams in a row beginning with the Rebels. With a victory, A&M would move into a tie for second place in the SEC with Mississippi State.
Ole Miss is led by sophomore Shandricka Sessom, who paces the team in scoring and three-point shooting. Sessom scored 13 points and grabbed four rebounds in January’s contest, while freshman Madinah Muhammad scored 21.
The Aggies’ biggest contributers were seniors Courtney Williams and Courtney Walker last time out against Mississippi State, when they each topped the 20-point mark. Maintaining that production will be pivotal for A&M moving forward.
Walker has scored at least 20 points in four straight games, and if she can reach that plateau against the Rebels, she will become the first Aggie since Danielle Adams in 2010-2011 to do it five times in a row.
The last time A&M and Ole Miss met, Chelsea Jennings exploded for a career-high 29 points for the Aggies.
Monday’s game is slated to get underway at 6 p.m. and will be broadcasted on the SEC Network.