No one involved with Texas A&M baseball ever believed they were going to lose.  Despite being down 6-1 to Tennessee by the end of the...

Texas A&M hosts Georgia Southern in preparation for SEC opener

Photo by Photo by: Morgan Engel

Sophomore Ashley Walters throws the ball back to the pitcher.

No. 10 Texas A&M will host Georgia Southern on Tuesday for a two game series in the first match-up between the two programs. This midweek match comes on the eve of the SEC opener against LSU.

The Aggies (23-2) are coming off a weekend sweep of former Big 12 foe Texas Tech. In their sweep this past weekend, the Aggie offense scored a total of 33 runs. Seniors Brianna Dozier and Cali Lanphear led the Aggie offensive charge. Dozier hit her third grand slam of the season while Lanphear totaled six RBI throughout the weekend. Meanwhile, the freshman on the A&M roster continue to produce for the Aggies with pitcher Samantha Show (13-2) adding two more wins to her record and teammate Keeli Milligan adding to her NCAA-leading 30 stolen bases.

Georgia Southern is also coming a victorious weekend in San Marcos where they defeated conference rival Texas State 2-1. The Eagles spent the last five days in Texas and will continue to do so for the remainder of the week. GSU will participate in the 2016 Jeannine McHaney Memorial Classic in Lubbock.

Texas A&M head coach Jo Evans told 12thman.com that she hopes her team can remain focused and not overlook a talented Georgia Southern team.
“It will be good to get these games in before we start conference play,” Evans told 12thman.com. “Georgia Southern is scrappy — they’re a good ball club. They are known for upsetting ranked teams, so it will be good challenge for us and get us locked in for what we need to do the rest of the week.”