Texas A&M pitcher Ryan Prager (18) dlivers a pitch during Texas A&M’s game against Kentucky at the NCAA Men’s College World Series at in Omaha, Nebraska on Monday, June 17, 2024. Prager went for 6.2 innings, allowing two hits and zero runs. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)

Texas A&M leads Arkansas 10-7 at the half

Photo by Photo by Bryan Johnson

Christian Kirk has 130 yards receiving on three receptions at the half. 

In the first half of the Southwest Classic, Arkansas held possession of the ball for 23:32 compared to only 6:28 from Texas A&M. However, A&M took to the locker room with a 10-7 advantage. 
The Texas A&M defense only allowed one first down in Arkansas’ first possession, which came from a Brandon Allen 17-yard scramble. Arkansas’ second drive, though, was not as successful for the Aggies. 
Brandon Allen put together an 11-play, 86-yard drive that saw 7:15 come off the game clock. The finishing touch came with a 17-yard connection between Allen and Drew Morgan. Morgan sneaked his way across the A&M defense and was left with no one within 10 yards of him when he waltzed into the endzone to give Arkansas the lead. 
In the ensuing kickoff, the ball was about to float out of bounds, ensuring an Arkansas penalty, but freshman Christian Kirk stepped up and caught the ball with one foot in bounds and the other out. An unsportsmanlike conduct penalty from Devonta Burns backed A&M up to its own 2-yard line. 
The poor field position did not shake Kyle Allen and the A&M offense in the slightest. Kirk made up for his mistake by dashing 44 yards to the promised land, tying the game up and tallying his fourth score of his young career. Key receptions from Josh Reynolds and Ricky Seals-Jones helped set the Aggies up for the quick score. 
Following the hasty A&M series, Arkansas manufactured yet another seven minute drive. Up until the final play of the drive, Brandon Allen was a perfect 13-for-13 passing. Unfortunately for Arkansas, his 14th attempt fell into the hands of A&M safety, Donovan Wilson, giving the defender his second interception of the season. 
Once again, the Aggies committed penalties that negatively affected their starting field position. Just like the series prior, A&M wasted no time getting out of the tight spot. The freshman phenom, Christian Kirk exploded on two straight receptions that went for a total of 86 yards. Regardless of Kirk’s back-to-back highlight plays, the Aggies were unable to reach the endzone again and had to settle for a Taylor Bertolet field goal, increasing the A&M lead to 10-7. 
The Aggie defense handed the Razorbacks their first sack of the season late in the second quarter, courtesy of Zaycoven Henderson. The sack paired with a quarterback hurry from Myles Garrett forced Arkansas into punting to the Aggies with 52 seconds remaining. 
Although the Aggies were able to move the ball down the field in a short amount of time throughout the first half, nothing came of A&M’s final drive of the half. Drew Kaser punted away to D.J. Dean of Arkansas with 15 seconds remaining and, acting as the last line of defense, the All-American Kaser made the touchdown-saving tackle. It was negated regardless by a Razorback penalty, however.
Texas A&M holds the advantage at the half, 10-7.