Texas A&M leads Mississippi State 24-10 at the half

Kyle+Allen
Photo by By Kathryn Perez
Kyle Allen

Under the guidance of Kyle Allen, Texas A&M leads Mississippi State 24-10 at halftime.

The sophomore quarterback is 19-for-25 passing for 226 yards and two touchdowns, while also adding 42 yards rushing on eight carries.

To kick the game off, Allen led the No. 14 Aggies with surgical passing, attacking the Mississippi State defense through the air. The MSU defense stood tall at the goal line and forced the Aggies into a fourth-and-goal at the 1, but Allen put the Aggies on board by finding Ricky-Seals Jones.

No. 21 Mississippi State answered quickly with a 38-yard field goal from Westin Graves to cut the Aggie lead to 7-3.

On the following drive, Allen and the Aggie offense got the running game going with senior running back Tra Carson, getting multiple touches throughout the drive and opening the Mississippi State defense up for Kyle Allen. It was sophomore transfer Damion Ratley scoring the touchdown this time, the first of this young Aggie career and for 29 yards.

The Mississippi State offense stalled out late in the first quarter as the Bulldogs failed to convert on fourth down late in the first quarter as Prescott missed tailback Ashton Shumpert in the flat, giving Kyle Field even more to cheer about.

Going into the second quarter with A&M leading 14-3, the Aggies tacked on a 55-yard field goal by Taylor Bertolet. The successful kick by Bertolet was the longest kick at Kyle Field since Terrence Kitchens’ 62-yard field goal on September 26, 1999 against Southern Miss.

Ricky Seals-Jones was ejected with 6:52 left in the second half for targeting on a crack block as Josh Reynolds received the pass in the flat from Kyle Allen. Seals-Jones appeared to lean with his shoulder against a defenseless MSU defensive back that was attempting to tackle Reynolds in the open field.

MSU scored its only touchdown of the half with a 52-yard touchdown run from Malik Dear to cut the Aggie lead to 17-10. The Aggies answered with a two-minute drive ending with a one yard touchdown run by Tra Carson.

Stay tuned for a full recap after the game.