Texas A&M looks to improve after victory over Tennessee

Photo by Photo by Ethan Dias

Trevor Knight and Christian Kirk celebrate after combining for a touchdown.

No. 6 Texas A&M moved to 6-0 for the first time since 1994 after defeating Tennessee in an instant double-overtime classic at Kyle Field Saturday.
The Aggies will now have the weekend off before they face No. 1 Alabama in Tuscaloosa Oct. 22.
A&M head coach Kevin Sumlin will give his players and staff Saturday off.
“It doesn’t change what our focus is,” Sumlin said regarding the bye week. “Realistically fixing issues that we’ve had over the first six weeks. Whether we deem them to be schematic, internal or anything. We want to look at where we are health-wise. We want to get guys up to speed again.”
Against the Volunteers A&M forced seven turnovers but also gave up a school record of 684 yards. Armani Watts had the game-sealing interception in the second overtime assuring the Aggies of their first win over a Top-10 opponent at home since 2010.
“There was a big emphasis on takeaways,” Defensive coordinator John Chavis said. “600-something yards. Jeez, I haven’t been there before. We gave up a bunch to Arkansas, and I felt the same. They did it to Alabama this week. We don’t want to be in those situation, but we play good teams. There are plays we have to make, we’ve got to be a better tackling football team. Our kids rose to the challenge with the turnovers.”
With 1:49 remaining and the Aggies up 35-28, freshman running back Trayveon Williams — first in the nation in yards per carry — ran loose for 71 yards and was about to score a touchdown that would put the game practically out of reach when he had the ball punched out for a touchback.
The Volunteers went on to score the tying touchdown off of the turnover.
“Trayveon Williams and I have talked about the fumble at the goal line,” Sumlin said at Tuesday’s press conference. “He was a little tired there. He wanted two more yards too. Hell of a play by the Tennessee player. He felt terrible about it, and thank goodness Coach McKinney was able to talk him into getting back on the field. He put us back in position to win the game. It’s a learning experience.”
Aggie quarterback Trevor Knight accounted for five total touchdowns with three on the ground and a pair passing but also threw two interceptions. Knight finished the game with 239 yards and completed 50 percent of his passes.
“We’re in a quality not quantity of completions area,” said A&M offensive coordinator Noel Mazzone. “We’re throwing the ball downfield. That makes your completion percentage go down. We have the athletes to do that. For Trevor, I’d like the completion percentage between 63 and 68. We’ll keep working on that.”
Knight rushed for 110 yards adding to his season tally of 502 yards. Knight has been balanced in the passing and rushing games with nine touchdowns per category. After his performance, Knight is fourth in the entire nation in yards per carry with 7.72, three spots below fellow teammate Williams, who leads the nation with 8.59.
“Trevor gets better every week,” Mazzone said. “He’s obviously a good athlete. He has a lot of skills. He working to be an athletic quarterback instead of an athlete that plays quarterback. There’s no way to replicate being in a football game. I’m happy with the way he’s progressing.”
Texas A&M’s bye week will provide players time to recover and in some cases — like 12th Man Cullen Gillaspia — watch football and relax.
“You get to be a normal college student,” Gillaspia said. “You can hangout with friends, catch up on all your studies and you’re not worn out all the time.”

• Trayveon Williams has the ball punched out right before he was about to reach the end zone.

Photo by Photo by Ethan Dias
  • Cullen Gillaspia celebrates after a forced fumble. Gillaspia is wearing the number 12 jersey after being named this season’s 12th Man.

Photo by By Carlie Russell