Texas A&M offensive coordinator Jake Spavital to leave program

Photo by By Wesley Holmes

Through their first three games, the Aggies rank No.25 in the nation in total offense under offensive coordinator Jake Spavital.

Texas A&M announced that the football program has decided to mutually part ways with offensive coordinator Jake Spavital.

Spavital was hired in 2011 and served as offensive coordinator the last two seasons. Aggie head coach Kevin Sumlin released a statement on Spavital.

“I want to thank Jake for his time here and for his important role in our program,” Sumlin said. “He is a bright, young coach with a tremendous future in coaching and we wish him all of the best in his career.”

With Spavital leaving, the move yet another offseason in which a key member of the coaching staff departed. After Sumlin’s first season, Kliff Kingsbury took the head coaching job at Texas Tech. The next offseason saw former A&M coordinator Mark Snyder take a job at Michigan State.

“I want to thank Coach Sumlin for an amazing opportunity in College Station and I leave here proud of our program and our accomplishments,” Spavital said. “I look forward to the next step in my coaching journey and I wish the Aggies nothing but the best.”

The Aggies will now be in search of their 4th offensive coordinator since Sumlin was hired in 2011. 

The departure comes nearly a month after five star quarterbacks Kyle Allen and Kyler Murray transferred from the program.