No one involved with Texas A&M baseball ever believed they were going to lose.  Despite being down 6-1 to Tennessee by the end of the...

Texas A&M women’s swim team closes out fall season with victory at Rice

After a short intermission for the Thanksgiving break, the No. 7 Texas A&M women’s swim team defeated the Rice Owls 160-100 at it’s last event of 2015.

A&M entered this week after earning a total of 1,166 points at the Art Adamson Invitational held at the Student Recreation Center Natatorium. The Owls were coming off a 1,121 victory in the University of Houston’s Phill Hansel Invitational, which included Tulane and UC-Davis.

Opening the meet with a 200 free relay victory, the Aggie swim team won 13 of the possible 14 events at the meet.

Leading the charge for A&M was sophomore Beryl Gastaldello, who was the lead swimmer in the in the opening relay. Gastaldello also notched individual victories in the 100-meter backstroke with a 56.31 time along with a 51.28 time in the 100-meter freestyle.

Senior Colleen Konetzke in the 1,000 meter free swim, freshman Lexi Lupton and Tiffany Futscher also earned victories in the 50-meter free and the 200-meter butterfly respectively. Sophomores Bethany Galat, Lisa Bratton, and Jorie Caneta notched victories on the 400-meter IM, 200-meter backstroke, and 200-meter butterfly, respectively.

Beryl Gastaldello, Jorie Caneta, Sarah Gibson and Lexie Lupton finished off the meet with a 200-meter medley relay victory for the Aggies. The group clocked in at 1:35.30.
This was the final event for the Fall leg of the Texas A&M women’s swim schedule. The Aggies will resume their season in on Jan. 8 Aggieland against the Georgia Bulldogs.