The case for Urban Meyer

Photo by U.S. Air Force National Guard photo by Senior Airman Christi Richter

Coach Urban Meyer runs on the field during the Ohio State military appreciation game on November 3, 2018, in Columbus, Ohio. This game was dedicated to honoring military men and women for Veterans Day.

Probably the most controversial coach Texas A&M could hire is none other than Urban Meyer.
Meyer didn’t have the best coaching tenure his last time being a head coach. As the head coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars, Meyer had a 3-14 record in his lone season at the professional level. Not to mention Meyer’s controversies, such as getting a lap dance at a bar and kicker Josh Lambo accusing Meyer of kicking his leg during warmups as Meyer told him to make his kicks.
That all happened at the professional level. If A&M fans want someone who knows how to win in the college game, then unfortunately, Meyer is that guy. He is one of the most successful college coaches of all time with three national championships. In 17 years of coaching, he holds a 187-32 record and was 12-3 in bowl games.
Everyone remembers the great runs he had at Florida and Ohio State, but Meyer was always a winner at the collegiate level. He turned a Bowling Green team that was fresh off six-straight losing seasons into a top-25 program with back-to-back 8-3 and 9-2 seasons. Then in two seasons at Utah, he had a 22-2 record including a 12-0 season in 2004.
Meyer is also no stranger to taking talented players and developing them into NFL players. Some notable names to play under Meyer include Ezekiel Elliot, Michael Thomas, Percy Harvin, Joey Bosa, Carlos Dunlap and Johnathan Hankins. A&M recruits a lot of talent; Aggies would like to see that talent developed and Meyer would be a great choice to do so.
However, all the good has to come with some bad with Meyer. In 2018, Meyer received a three-game suspension from Ohio State after his mishandling of domestic abuse allegations involving Zach Smith, one of his assistant coaches. Meyer’s time with the Gators also had its share of controversy, with him previously overseeing a Florida program that hid drug test failures and had 30 arrests in six seasons.
A very polarizing figure in the college football world, Meyer would be an intriguing head coach signing for A&M. Buried deep in the controversies and scandals is a guy who knows how to win. The only unknown is Meyer hasn’t coached in the NIL era, but the man is willing to do anything to win — for better or worse.