‘The finest sports building in America’

Photo by File

Kyle Field has gone through six stages of renovation since the implosion on December 21st.

For Saturday’s game against Ball State, The 12th Man will still head to Kyle Field — just a bigger, louder, state-of-the-art version of the one before. 

At a Thursday press conference, vice chancellor of business affairs Phillip Ray said roughly 700 construction workers were still, “getting all the bells and whistles correct and make it perfect.”

Chancellor John Sharp said a multitude of people were involved in the renovation, and tipped his hat to a tireless construction staff at the conference.

“Most of them have gotten only two days off,” Sharp said. “Christmas two years ago, and Christmas last year.”

Two years and $485 million later, the tireless construction has amounted to a new capacity of over 102,733, making it the largest stadium in the conference and fourth-largest college stadium in the nation, trailing only Michigan, Penn State and Ohio State.

Sharp and Ray called Kyle Field, “the finest sports building in America.”

The university got its funding for the project in a variety of ways. Sharp said, $125 million was raised through the 12th Man Foundation, $70 million was contributed by the students via fees, the city of College Station pitched in $30 million and the rest was borrowed at a favorable interest rate.

Texas A&M has a history of having notable facilities. Back in 1927, the university spent $345,001 to build Kyle Field, and in 1999, the Bernard C. Richardson Zone — which increased the capacity to 82,600 — was added for a cost of $32.9 million.

Defensive coordinator John Chavis said the volume and intimidation factor of Kyle Field could add a stronger home-field advantage.

“It’s exciting,” Chavis said at Tuesday’s press conference. “There’s not a better venue to play college football anywhere in the country.”

Senior running back Tra Carson, who rushed for 96 yards and scored two touchdowns in Saturday’s victory over Arizona State, shared Chavis’ excitement.

“We’re very excited, it’s going to be historic.” Carson said of the hype surrounding the new Kyle Field. “We’re the first team to play in the finished Kyle Field in front of the best fans in college football, so we’re very excited.”

In addition to the added capacity, there are also several other upgrades included in the project, such as more luxury suites and improved concession stands and press boxes, which Texas A&M defensive end Daeshon Hall described as “real impressive.”