The Show stopper: Freshman phenomenon fills many roles for top-flight A&M softball

Photo by File

For freshman pitcher Samantha Show, her defining moment came early on in her career.

More often than not, athletes have a moment that puts them on a path toward success. For freshman pitcher Samantha Show, her defining moment came early on in her career.

“I was pitching in probably U10 or U12 and we were in little league and my dad was my coach,” Show said. “We were playing a game and my dad came out to the mound and he told me, ‘If you throw one more ball, I’m taking you out of the game.’ Of course, I didn’t mean to, but I threw a ball and he pulls me out of the game. I start crying and he puts me in the bed of the truck in the middle of the game.”

Show said the experience made her grow as a player.

“I think that helped me realize I need to be stronger as a player, because not everything is going to go my way,” Show said. 

As a senior in high school, Show boasted statistics that were unlike any other. Show had a total of 437 strikeouts in a total of 215 innings pitched while in her final season at East Bernard. However, her talents were not limited to the circle. She also drove in a total of 65 runs, 22 of which were via the long ball. 

For Texas A&M head coach Jo Evans, having a player like Show is a blessing. Evans said not only has Show surpassed her expectations this season, but she continues to surprise her with her “fighter mentality” and presence on the field despite her young age.

“She’s worked really hard, especially with her pitching,” Evans said. “It’s hard for someone like Sam to practice her defense, hitting and pitching in the number of hours that we have. We’ve put a lot of emphasis on the time we’ve had with her in her pitching, because we knew she was going to be such an integral part of our team.”

Former A&M softball pitcher and current volunteer pitching coach Rhi Kliesing has had a first-hand experience of what Show is going through. Through their short time together, Kliesing has become a mentor for the young pitcher. Kliesing said she tries to remind Show that she is in control of the game and — most importantly — to remain relaxed while playing. 

“I tell her that she has nothing to lose — she’s a freshman,” Kliesing said. “Up until now we’ve been playing teams that have been ranked higher than us. So I told her to go out and have fun. I also told her to remember why she’s playing the game.”

Mark Show, Samantha’s father, said despite the early success of his daughter, he is proud of the person she has become and her ability to remain level-headed and of the person she has become.

“Sam was very emotional at a younger age. Her mother and I wondered if she would ever be able to overcome that,” Mark said. “Over the last couple of years, especially since going to college, she has grown up into a young woman who is trying to lead by example.”