Three A&M commits compete at Texas State 7on7 Championships

Photo by By Ryan MacDonald

Texas A&M 2019 tight end commit Baylor Cupp competed at the Texas State 7on7 Championships this weekend.

Texas A&M 2019 tight end commit Baylor Cupp looked like a man among boys at the Texas State 7on7 Championships this past weekend at Veteran’s Park.
At 6-6, 235 Cupp commanded the outside receiver spot and was a go-to target for the Brock Eagles.
Cupp and the Eagles went 3-0 in Division II pool play on Thursday and advanced to the quarterfinals of the championship bracket before falling to Pleasant Grove, 41-33.
“It was a good time with all my friends down here, my future home,” Cupp said. “I love it down here.”
Cupp was not seen anchoring the end of the offensive line this weekend, but said he loves the way A&M will continue to use an old-school tight end with the way offenses are transitioning to spread looks.
Cupp added that he is fond of A&M’s new tight ends coach Tim Brewster and the way he works with players.
“He’s a great guy, you really can’t not like him,” Cupp said of Brewster. “I love how the way he coaches. He doesn’t scream at you, he’ll take his time and coach you up.”
With real football around the corner, Cupp said he plans on coming to games at Kyle Field this fall. But back home, Cupp and Brock have work to do as the Eagles are aiming to avenge their loss in the 3A-DI state title game to Rockdale last season.
The expectations are high in 2018, as Brock was tabbed preseason No. 1 by Dave Campbell’s Texas Football Magazine in 3A-DI.
“Hopefully go out this year and get back to state and win this time,” Cupp said of senior season goals.
Two other 2019 A&M commits were in action at the 7on7 state tournament – A&M Consolidated DT Josh Ellison and St. Pius X WR Chase Lane.
Ellision showed his elusiveness throughout the weekend, appearing both at linebacker and wide receiver. He helped lead the Tigers to the championship game, but they fell in a 20-19 nail-bitter to fellow hometown team College Station. Also making plays at outside receiver for the Tigers was Devin Price, son of A&M defensive ends coach Terry Price.
While Ellison nearly took home the gold, Lane and St. Pius X struggled. The Panthers went 0-3 in pool play and were eliminated in the second round of the consolation bracket by Hutto. Former A&M QB Grant Gunnell was the Panthers’ signal caller. Gunnell is currently committed to Arizona and former A&M head coach Kevin Sumlin.
Dallas Bishop Dunne was also in action this weekend, but without A&M five-star safety commit Brian Williams who was competing at The Opening Finals at The Star in Frisco.

• Cupp and the Brock Eagles advanced to the Division II quarterfinals.

• Cupp normally plays tight end, but lined up at outside receiver this weekend.

• Texas A&M 2019 defensive tackle commit Josh Ellison played linebacker and wide receiver for A&M Consolidated at the Texas State 7on7 Championships.