Track and field shines in day one of A&M Invitational

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker

Freshman Nick Mirabelli finished fourth in the men’s javelin throw with 69.42 meters at The Reveille on April 6 at E.B. Cushing Stadium.

The first day of the Texas A&M Invitational concluded with three Aggies capturing victories Friday at E.B. Cushing Stadium.
The Aggies come out in first place on both the women’s and men’s teams. The women finished with 48 points, while the men finished with 42.
The first event of the day was women’s pole vault, and it was UTSA senior Caroline Bellows who won with a mark of 12-08.75 (3.88m).
In the second event of the day, A&M long-jumper Tyra Gittens was able to continue a strong start to the year. The sophomore claimed the first victory of the day for the Aggies after a 20-09.00 (6.32m) mark in the event.
“I was ready to bring it,” Gittens said. “I’m happy to start off my season in the long jump like this, which is better than I thought I would do today.”
Alongside Gittens in the women’s long jump was junior Lajarvia Brown who posted a 20-05.00 (6.22m) mark to put her in the top three on the day. Sophomore Virginia Kerley also finished in the top five behind a 20-02.25 (6.15m) performance.
Celine Markert was the lone A&M woman to compete in the hammer throw on Friday. The senior came out of the day in seventh-place after she posted a 167-11 (51.19m) mark.
The women’s javelin throw was the next event on the day, and the Aggies  dominated the contest. Senior Madalaine Stulce came out of the day in first-place behind a 173-02 (52.78m) mark.
Not far behind was Markert, who finished the event third overall after a career best 163-09 (49.91m) performance. Sophomore Jenna Ellis followed Markert in fourth-place after she went 146-05 (44.63m) on the day.
Rounding out the top-five for the javelin throw was freshman Natalie Scheifele, who finished the event with a 141-04 (43.07m) score.
Mason Farley led the way for A&M in the men’s high jump with a 6-10.25 (2.09m) mark and ending the event tied for first place.
In the men’s long jump, freshman Robin Nool finished in the top-five behind a 23-08.00 (7.21m) mark.
Sophomore KJ Grimes was the highest ranked Aggie for the men’s hammer throw. He ended day one in ninth-place after a 174-0 (53.03m) performance.
A&M dominated the final event of the day, as the Aggies claim three of the top four spots in men’s javelin.
Senior Sam Hardin placed first overall in the event after a 235-10 (72.2m) throw. Nick Mirabelli finished in second-place, the freshman posted a 220-06 (67.21m) mark on Friday. Junior William Peterson came in fourth overall after a 204-02 (62.23m) throw.
The final day of the invitational will take place Saturday at 3 p.m. at E.B. Cushing Stadium.