Transfer possibility up in air for Kyler Murray

Photo by Photo by: Jena Floyd

Kyler Murray on the run with the ball. 

At around 2 p.m. Wednesday, there were multiple reports that Texas A&M quarterback Kyler Murray intended to transfer from the Texas A&M football program. This happened to be six days removed from when the former starting quarterback, Kyle Allen, announced his plans to transfer.

The Aggies held practice at 2:30 p.m. in preparation for the Music City Bowl against Louisville. Murray was a no show at practice and speculation began building that he was for sure going to leave the program. Jake Hubenak and Conner McQueen were in attendance.

Aggie head coach Kevin Sumlin addressed the media afterwards and said he told Murray to stay home from practice since it is an awkward situation. Sumlin said he met with Murray and will tomorrow as well to discuss the situation.

“I met with the family before practice, and he’s going through some personal things,” Sumlin said. “I’ve met with multiple players after the [two week dead period], and the discussions have been good so I expect him to be out here tomorrow.”

Sumlin said he expects Murray to remain the starter in the Music City Bowl. The fourth year head coach said he plans on seeing Murray back practicing with the team tomorrow.

As for Kyle Allen, Sumlin said he was surprised and disappointed with the timing of the decision but wished him well.

“First of all I want wish Kyle the best,” Sumlin said. “He and his family got together and made a decision which they thought was best for them. Obviously we didn’t agree with it but this program isn’t about one person. He wanted to leave and we granted him a release.”

After the struggles on the offensive side of the ball, Sumlin said Jake Spavital would continue to call plays. Sumlin also responded to whether he still has confidence in his offensive coordinator and in regards to his job security.

“There haven’t been any changes for responsibilities at any [coaching] position across the board,” Sumlin said. “I have not lost confidence in anything. Does it look like I have? No. I have not. At the end of the season we will take a look at the body or work of the year and then we’ll make some decisions at that point.”

Reports also began swirling around the internet that A&M recruit Tate Martell, who is a junior at Bishop Gorman high school, would graduate early and play for the Aggies next fall. The dual threat quarterback quickly squashed those rumors on Twitter. 

When it appeared that things couldn’t be crazier, things did when four-star wide receiver Quartney Davis announced via Twitter that he decided to decommit from A&M.

The whirlwind of action surrounding the A&M program will continue in the coming days as more information will be gathered on the situation of Kyler Murray.