Transfer tight end Trevor Wood gains confidence in new role at A&M

Redshirt senior Trevor Wood helps Texas A&M by filling a vital role as a part of the tight end attack head coach Jimbo Fisher plans to use this season.

In his first year as an Aggie, redshirt senior Trevor Wood has eased into his new role as the other half of the dynamic tight end duo alongside junior Jace Sternberger.
Wood played at the University of Arizona before transferring to Texas A&M in May 2018. During his time as a Wildcat, Wood became a versatile player, seeing snaps as a tight end, defensive back and center.
During Wood’s sophomore year in 2016, he racked up his best stats with seven receptions and 49 receiving yards. His junior year didn’t receive the same amount of attention on the field. Wood only had two receptions and 14 receiving yards.
Wood had the chance to change this lack of field play and transferred to A&M to play under head coach Jimbo Fisher. Early on, Fisher made it known that he intended to take better advantage of the tight end position than his predecessors had.
“You definitely feel the love,” Wood said. “Coaching staff, players, I mean everybody; you can tell it’s a needed position and it’s a wanted position. It’s wonderful to fill that void.”
With four games under his belt this season, Wood is redefining what it means to be a tight end in Fisher’s offense, and building on the important role he plays with Sternberger.
“I feel like I’m settling into my role pretty well,” Wood said. “I think we really compliment each other and so I have no problem. When he scores, I feel like I score.”
Wood injured his ankle earlier this year during a scrimmage, and Fisher said his ability to recover quickly will ultimately improve the offensive play for future games.
“[I’m] glad to get him healthy and we’ve got to get him going,” Fisher said. “We had a couple opportunities the other day, just didn’t get it to him and the ball ended up going to other places. But he can be a big part down the stretch for us,” Fisher said.
As the Aggies prepare to face Arkansas in the Southwest Classic this weekend in Arlington, Wood said playing in an NFL stadium doesn’t come with added pressure, since he’s played in similar stadiums throughout his football career.
“At the end of the day, it’s another game,” Wood said. “I played at the Cardinals stadium, I’ve played at the 49ers stadium for a bowl game. … [I’ve] played in some big stadiums and I’m excited to experience this one.”

• Redshirt senior Trevor Wood helps Texas A&M by filling a vital role as a part of the tight end attack head coach Jimbo Fisher plans to use this season.

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker