Trayveon Williams ignites offense in season opener

Photo by Jesse Everett

Northwestern State was unable to stop the rushing attack of Texas A&M, as they allowed 520 yards and 5 touchdowns on the ground.

The Jimbo Fisher era has begun in Aggieland with a blowout 59-7 win over the Northwestern State Demons. From the start, Jimbo and offensive coordinator Darrell Dickey wanted to establish the run game, and they did just that.
The Aggies rushed for 503 yards on the night while the Demons managed just 21. A major factor in the success on the ground was junior running back Trayveon Williams.
“It exemplifies what he did in the spring and in the fall,” A&M head coach Jimbo Fisher said about Williams’ performance. “That’s the way he’s approached everything. He’s been a pro for us and a leader for us and has done a great job.”
Williams ripped off a 73-yard touchdown run on the first drive of the game, and never looked back. The 73-yard run is the longest opening game run for A&M since 1993. Williams would finish with 129 yards on just 10 carries in the first quarter alone. Then, in the second quarter, Williams carried the ball seven times for 51 yards before scoring his third touchdown of the game on a 40-yard burst.
“The run and pass game complement off each other,” A&M quarterback Kellen Mond said. “Having [Williams] being able to hit an explosive play on the third play of the game gave our offense a boost and a little bit of confidence and that’s when we started getting rolling. Obviously [Williams] is a really good back and is still learning the same way I am at quarterback.”
Williams finished the game with 240 yards on just 20 carries, averaging 12 yards a carry and scoring three touchdowns in the process.
The 240 yards Williams racked up is the second most by an Aggie all-time and the most since 1950. Williams’ performance also puts him in the 2,000-yard club, making him the 20th Aggie to accomplish that feat.
“It was just a great opportunity,” Williams said. “Finally being able to ocme out here and play on Kyle Field and kicking off the season and the Jimbo era right. It’s a great opportunity to be a running back in this system, but kudos to our offensive line, quarterbacks, and tight ends. All those guys went out there and had a great game, so I’m glad that could translate on my part and the win so I’m excited.”
The focus now turns from Northwestern State to Clemson as the Williams and the Aggies welcome the Tigers to Kyle Field next Saturday. Kickoff is slated for 6 p.m.