Tyree Johnson signed by the Pittsburgh Steelers

Photo by Ishika Samant

Senior defensive end Tyree Johnson recorded two sacks and a forced fumble in A&M’s 20-3 victory over the Auburn Tigers.

On Saturday, April 30, Texas A&M defensive lineman Tyree Johnson, Class of 2021, was signed by the Pittsburgh Steelers after going undrafted in the 2022 NFL Draft.

Johnson had his best collegiate season in 2021-22, finishing as a member of the All-SEC Second Team, tying for the fifth-most sacks in the SEC at 8.5. In 47 career games over four seasons, he accumulated 18 sacks, 100 tackles and three forced fumbles. His redshirt senior season, he earned the Defensive Playmaker Award at the annual team banquet.

Johnson went to St. John’s in the nation’s capital alongside A&M teammate linebacker Aaron Hansford, a member of this year’s draft class as well. As a 3-star recruit according to 247Sports, Johnson signed with A&M as the 493rd-ranked prospect. 

According to Jordan Schultz of Yahoo Sports, after going undrafted in the 2022 NFL Draft, Johnson will sign with the Pittsburgh Steelers, the same team that drafted his teammate DeMarvin Leal at pick No. 84. He will also be joining former teammates in linebacker Buddy Johnson and tackle Dan Moore Jr.