Volleyball faces Kentucky in tough road match

Photo by Kate Hanson

Texas A&M is coming off a sweep of Mississippi State on Sunday.

The Texas A&M volleyball team (5-7, 2-3 SEC) looks to build off last Sunday’s 3-0 win over Mississippi State as they take on No. 10 Kentucky (14-2, 5-0 SEC) Wednesday night.
Kentucky is on a nine-game winning streak after taking down Auburn 3-1 on Sunday. The Wildcats’ last loss was to Kansas on Sept. 4. The blue and white also remain undefeated at home in Lexington, Kentucky, where they will host the Aggies.
Two Wildcats earned accolades after their 3-1 win over Auburn on Sunday, with Leah Edmond earning SEC Player of the Week and Offensive Player of the Week, and freshman Madison Lilley being named Setter of the Week.
Edmond led Kentucky with 25 kills and 26.5 points, and boasted a .438 hitting percentage. Lilley accounted for 50 of the Wildcats’ 57 total assists, adding 12 digs and hitting .500.
After dropping a closely contested match to Florida 3-1 last Wednesday, the Aggies bounced back into the win column on Sunday, holding Mississippi State to an opponent season-low .011 hitting percentage, including minus-.161 in the third set.
Senior Kiara McGee accumulated 11 kills and 11.5 points for the Aggies, also notching a .435 hitting percentage. Junior middle blocker Kaitlyn Blake hit .800 on 10 total attacks, with eight kills and no errors, and added 8.5 points.
Camille Conner, who kicked off the game with an ace on the first serve, had 29 assists, seven points, six digs, and six blocks. Samantha Sanders hit .556 and added six kills.
Senior libero Amy Nettles used seven digs against Mississippi State to propel herself to an eighth place tie with Kristie Smedsrud (1994-97) and 1,261 career digs. If she notches one more dig, Nettles will move on to tie for seventh place with Suzy Wente.
Nettles is no stranger to breaking Wente’s records, as she overtook Wente in the Texas A&M record books for most consecutive sets (284) during the second game of the 2017 season. Nettles continues to set this school record, which is currently at 321 sets.
First serve is at 7 p.m. on Wednesday from the Memorial Coliseum in Lexington, Kentucky. The game will be televised on the SEC Network.