Watt nets four goals in A&M’s 7-1 win

Photo by Photo by Paul Burke

Sophomore forward Ally Watt scored four goals in Tuesday’s 7-1 win over Missouri.

Second-seeded Texas A&M rolled to a 7-1 win over the tenth-seeded Missouri Tigers Tuesday afternoon in the second round of the SEC Tournament in Orange Beach, Alabama.
It was the 11th consecutive victory for the Aggies (15-2-1), as sophomore forward Ally Watt led the way by scoring four goals.
A&M came out scorching hot on offense, with Watt scoring three goals in the first 20 minutes.
Then, Missouri senior forward Jessica Johnson scored her sixth goal of the year — the Tigers’ only goal of the game — in the 27th minute to make the score 3-1.
In the 39th minute, A&M freshman defender Jimena Lopez attempted a cross in the Missouri box, when a Tiger player hit the ball with her arm to give the Aggies a penalty kick. Lopez netted the penalty kick to give the Aggies a 4-1 lead at halftime.
The second half was dominated by the Aggies as the offense did not miss a beat. A&M scored quickly in the 47th minute on Watt’s fourth goal of the game and her eleventh goal of the year.
Senior midfielder Stephanie Malherbe scored her second goal of the season in the 56th minute, and junior defender Claudette Lassandro added her first goal of the year just for extra measure in the 76th minute to give the Aggies the 7-1 win.
Missouri ended the game with 14 shots, 10 on goal, two corners and two saves, while A&M finished with 17 shots, nine on goal, three corners and nine saves.
A&M will take on third-seeded Florida on Thursday in the semifinals. Kickoff is scheduled for 6 p.m.