What we learned: Texas A&M vs Alabama

Photo by Courtesy of Grant Nichols – The Crimson White

Texas A&M sophomore quarterback Kellen Mond was sacked seven times in the loss to the Tide. 

Nick Saban is now undefeated against his former assistants after defeating Texas A&M 45-23. Despite the loss A&M head coach Jimbo Fisher said there was room for improvement. Here’s what we learned:
1. ) Kellen Mond continues to improve
Kellen Mond’s ability to extend plays kept A&M in the game. In the first quarter, Mond had a 54-yard run that set the Aggies up in the red zone and resulted in a touchdown. Mond’s rush was also the longest of the game. Through the air, he was 16 for 33 with 196 yards passing and one touchdown and two interceptions.
“I thought he competed and played very well,” A&M head coach Jimbo Fisher said. “There were a couple of throws [and] decisions I thought he could’ve come back, but that always happens. Overall, I thought he competed and played a solid game.”
2. ) Capitalizing on momentum swings
With Alabama punter Skylar DeLong averaging only 36 yards a punt, A&M was given good field position. On three of the six Alabama punts, A&M started on the 43, 48 and 42-yard lines. However, the last two drives resulted in punts. Following the loss, sophomore quarterback Kellen Mond said he was unhappy the offense was unable to capitalize.
“That was something we practiced a lot,” Mond said. “We knew coming into this game that it was going to be something that was going to be really big for us. Not being able to execute down there — I guess you can say I was disappointed — but we continued to play not matter what the score was.”
3.) Braden Mann’s record-setting day 

Braden Mann broke a single game NCAA record that stood for 35 years, averaging 60.8 yards on the five punts he kicked during the game. Mann is also averaging 51.7 yards per punt overall this season and according to the A&M sports information department, he’s on pace to break Drew Kaser’s record from 2015.

“I could have done a lot of things better, that’s for sure,” Mann said. “It’s cool to have a record, but if I could just put my team in position to succeed more. I’ve got to put more of those punts inside of the 20 instead of at the 20. The individual stats are alright and stuff, but I have to have a better game in terms of field position.”