What we learned: Texas A&M vs Auburn

Photo by Provided by Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Auburn’s Seth Williams scores a touchdown in the first half Texas A&M at Auburn football on Saturday, Nov 3, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.

Texas A&M’s 28-24 loss to Auburn looks like the start of a story Aggie fans have seen time and time again. Though the game was only on the third day of the month, the Aggies are once again winless in November, and it seems A&M is headed to yet another late season spiral. Here’s what we learned from Texas A&M-Auburn:

1.)  The Aggies can’t score in the fourth quarter

In the last two weeks, Texas A&M has gone into the locker room with a lead at the end of the first half. But in both instances, they have been unable to hold off the opposing team in the second half. Against the Tigers on Saturday and Mississippi State last week, A&M had a three-point lead, but in both games the A&M offense has failed to produce any points in the fourth quarter. Not all blame can be put on the offense, as the defense was unable to put pressure on Auburn’s Jarrett Stidham, who threw for 239 yards overall and 127 in the fourth after throwing for 112 yards in the first three quarters combined. 

2.) A&M isn’t effectively using its time of possession

A&M is second in the country behind Army in time of possession with average of 36 minutes and 27 seconds per game, but that doesn’t mean they’re using their time effectively. In Saturday’s loss, A&M controlled the ball for 38 minutes and 41 seconds of the game. A&M head coach Jimbo Fisher’s offense was praised during the broadcast for the methodical and long drives A&M was stringing together. However, that doesn’t do much good when the team can’t capitalize and put crucial points on the board. As a matter of fact, A&M controlled the ball for about 10 minutes of the fourth quarter, yet its first three possessions resulted in a missed field goal, an interception and a punt.