Wildcats complete the sweep as A&M falls to Kentucky in final game of series

Photo by Photo by: C. Morgan Engel

Head Coach Rob Childress talks to his team late in the game. 

The Texas A&M baseball team finished its weekend series with Kentucky Sunday, losing 11-7. The Aggies start off SEC play on the wrong side of a series sweep. With a loss to Texas on Tuesday, the team has faced four losses in the span of six days.

“It’s a bad taste,” A&M head coach Rob Childress said. “Kentucky played at a high level and has a good team. We’ve found different ways to lose all week long.”

A&M has been outscored 36-16 in those losses, but despite the recent rough patch, players remain optimistic and focused on the long run.

“We’re still on a good track,” Kaylor Chafin said. “We’re a young team and we’re going to bounce back. It’ll be good for us.”

Offense was at a premium for the Wildcats during the series. Kentucky averaged eight runs over the weekend and scored more every game than the game before.

“They were aggressive, they had a great approach,” Chafin continued. “They were jumping all over fastballs, curveballs, anything we threw they were ready for.”

The Aggies were hot and cold offensively. They went several innings without a hit early in the game, until a scoring outburst in the 7th and 8th innings lead to six runs. Three of those runs came from a home run by George Janca, his first of the season.

“I was just trying to get a good pitch to hit,” Janca said. “We needed runs, I got a good pitch to hit, and I handled it.”

A&M will host Rice Tuesday, March 21st. The Aggies hope to stop their recent skid but know it won’t come easy.
“Rice is going to show up Tuesday with a chip on their shoulder,” Coach Childress said. “We need to make sure we do the same.