Williams: ‘I proved that I am a great running back’

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker

Junior running back Trayveon Williams rushed for 138 yards against Kentucky.

With Saturday’s game on the line in overtime, Texas A&M junior running back Trayveon Williams was given the ball on three straight plays.
It was Williams’ third and final run of the game that gave A&M the 20-14 upset victory over No. 13 Kentucky.
“It’s a great opportunity,” Williams said. “I’m just glad that this offense and this coaching staff has the trust in me to put me in those situations.”
A&M head coach Jimbo Fisher said Williams’ versatility and work ethic have allowed him to shine on the field.
“He’s outstanding,” Fisher said. “He’s a warrior, he’s a competitor and he practices that way. Trayveon is a warrior, man, he can do it all. He can catch, he can run and he’s a great competitor.”
For Williams, Saturday’s 138-yard performance was just reaffirming what he already knew — he is one of the best running backs in the country.
“I proved that I am a great back,” Williams said.
On the final play of the game, Williams credits redshirt senior full back Cullen Gillaspia with the clean running lane that allowed him to get into the end zone.
“It was a simple inside zone run,” Williams said. “In that situation, I’ve got to run behind Cullen Gillaspia and he had a great block. He put me into the second level and I just had to make a guy miss and jump into the end zone.”
Late in the fourth quarter, Williams was shaken up after a play that left him needing attention from the medical staff.
“I tried to jump out and sell out for the team,” Williams said. “I just fell odd, hurt my ribs and got the wind knocked out of me, but it’s one of those situations that you have fight through and get through.”
Williams had a career-high six receptions for 72 yards against the Wildcats. A&M sophomore quarterback Kellen Mond said the focus was to get Williams in the game, either by passing or running the ball.
“We wanted to give [Trayveon] the ball,” Mond said. “He did a good job for us. It was something we knew going into the game and something we had to take advantage of in the run game.”
Junior tight end Jace Sternberger said Williams puts in additional time outside the playing field, which allows him to find success in each game.
“There’s a lot of little things that Trayveon does behind the scenes at practice that he doesn’t get a lot of credit for,” Sternberger said. “To see him get rewarded with the performances that he puts out night in and night out — we are just so happy for him. Even though he’s younger than me, I still look up to him.”