Texas A&M infielder Rylen Wiggins (2) reacts during Texas A&M’s game against Texas at the Austin Super Regional at Red and Charline McCombs Field in Austin, Texas, on Sunday, May 26, 2024. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Aggies’ season ends with heartbreaking loss to Longhorns

Sharper play in the sixth innings of Texas A&M softball’s NCAA Super Regional series with No. 1 Texas may have been the difference between...

Williams named next Texas A&M men’s basketball coach

Photo by Cassie Stricker

Buzz Williams will become the Aggie basketball team’s 23rd head coach in program history. Williams and his family arrived at Easterwood Airport in College Station on Wednesday afternoon and were greeted by representatives from Texas A&M athletics.

After nearly three weeks of anticipation, Texas A&M will name Virginia Tech’s Buzz Williams as the new men’s basketball coach this afternoon.
According to CBS Sports, A&M basketball players have been notified that Williams will be the next head coach at A&M.
“As we began our search, it quickly reaffirmed to us what we all know — the A&M brand is powerful, as the depth and breadth of the candidate pool was incredible,” A&M athletic director Scott Woodward said in a statement. “We kept our focus on finding an elite basketball coach, a developer of talent, a tremendous recruiter, a tireless worker and someone who fits Texas A&M.”
The Van Alstyne, Texas, native had previous ties to A&M through his role as an assistant coach under Billy Gillispie from 2004 to 2006 before taking the head coaching position at New Orleans.
Woodward said Williams is the perfect fit to help guide the Aggies to the top of college basketball prominence.
“I have no doubt that Buzz will take our basketball program further than ever before and will make Aggies everywhere proud,” Woodward said. “It is an exciting day as we welcome Buzz and his family back to Aggieland.”
Williams coached the Hokies to each of the last three NCAA Tournaments, including a trip to the Sweet Sixteen and a 26-9 overall record this past season. In his five seasons with the program, he led Virginia Tech from an 11-22 season to four straight 20-win campaigns.
Before his tenure in Blacksburg, Williams held the same position at Marquette, guiding the program to a 139-69 record. In five of the six seasons that he coached in Milwaukee, the Golden Eagles went to the NCAA Tournament, including an Elite Eight appearance and two Sweet Sixteen appearances.
At A&M, Williams is expected to sign a multi-year contract worth more than $3 million a year, according to CBS Sports.
“I am so humbled and honored to return home to Texas A&M, and proud to lead the Aggies,” Williams said in a statement to the athletic department. “I’d like to thank Chancellor Sharp, President Young and Scott Woodward for this incredible opportunity. This is our home, and we are ready to join with the 12th Man to win championships, graduate our players and represent this world-class university with integrity.”
In his 12-year career as a head coach, Williams has posted a 253-155 overall record.
Williams will be officially introduced Thursday afternoon at Reed Arena. The event — which is open to the public — is scheduled to start at 4 p.m.