Williams striving into second season while bonding with O-Line

Photo by By Alex Miller

Sophomore running back Trayveon Williams runs down the field during a special teams drill.

The offensive line is often forgotten for doing the dirty work, but not to sophomore running back Trayveon Williams.
Williams appreciates the job his lead blockers do so much that he lets them know before they step foot on the practice field.
“He’ll come up behind me in the locker room and say, ‘Hey, I’m ready to run behind you today, you ready?’” junior offensive tackle Koda Martin said after Sunday’s practice.
Williams’ is constantly around some of his linemen, too. He’s roommates with starting center Colton Prater and is neighbors with the trio of Kellen Diesch, Austin and Riley Anderson – all offensive linemen.
“I love my offensive line,” Williams said. “I hang with those guys as much as I can. I love on those guys. Those guys are the best people in the world.”
‘Those guys’ did help pave the way for Williams to become the first true-freshman in A&M history to rush for over 1,000 yards in 2016. The early success Williams experienced has allowed him to become more comfortable entering his sophomore season.
“Now I know what to expect,” Williams said of entering his second year. “Last year being a freshman being thrown into the fire, the coaches got me ready last year, but now seeing it from a different point of view, it’s big.”
Still, Williams had a checklist of items to improve on this offseason.
“Blocking is something that is crucial because that’s a key point to being a running back,” Williams said. “Patience in the backfield and routes because we’re instilling that different type of level into our offense using the backs more into the receiving game.”
With the duo of Williams and Keith Ford posing as one of the best 1-2 running back tandems in the SEC, Williams is excited for potential growth in the Aggies’ run game this year.
“We have a run first offense,” Williams said. “That’s a big deal for me and for the guys up front and the guys in the running back room.”
That said, Williams knows how vital his game will be with an increased role, but also knows he can count on Ford to help lighten the load in games.
“Coach Mazzone called me into his office and he said that my role would change this year and I’ll be leaned on more, me and Keith Ford,” Williams said. “Looking back to last year with those carries, I was splitting carries with Keith, but it was a good deal keeping a fresh back in the game.”