Texas A&M pitcher Evan Aschenbeck (53) throws a pitch during Texas A&M’s game against Florida at the NCAA Men’s College World Series semifinal at Charles Schwab Field in Omaha, Nebraska on Sunday, June 19, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Aggies defeat Gators 6-0 to advance to first College World Series finals
Kolton Becker, Sports Writer • June 20, 2024

There’s always a first for everything.  For the first time in program history, Texas A&M baseball is headed to the Men’s College...

Wilson announces injury will end college career

Photo by Photo by Kevin Chou

Graduate Point Guard Duane Wilson passes the ball off to a teammate.

Fifth-year senior Duane Wilson announced via social media that his lingering knee injury will keep him out for the rest of the season, effectively ending his collegiate career. 
Wilson partially tore his ACL in A&M’s game against Alabama on Dec. 30 and had been playing through the injury, however, he was forced to leave Saturday’s game against Kentucky early because the pain was unbearable. The increased pain was likely a resultant of meniscus damage that had not shown up on the first MRI. 
“It got a little worse I think and that was the biggest thing. There was some meniscus damage that came up in the second MRI that wasn’t there in the first [MRI], so we had to essentially move on from it,” head coach Billy Kennedy said. 
Kennedy also praised Wilson for playing through the pain as long as he could.
“Everybody saw that he gave us his heart and soul and his knee, basically. In the Kentucky game and in the past couple weeks it just caught up with him,” Kennedy said. 
Wilson is a graduate transfer who came to A&M after playing three years at Marquette. The point guard started 16 out of A&M’s first 17 games before the injury forced him to come off the bench. Wilson finishes the year averaging 9 points and 2 assists per game. 
Moving forward, the Aggies’ depth at the point guard position is razor-thin after the loss of Wilson, the suspension of Jay Jay Chandler and the dismissal of J.J. Caldwell. Kennedy, however, is confident he has the personnel to fill in the gaps at the position and that his team will grow from the plight. 
“We have some absolutes now, who we have to play, I think that’s going to help us,” Kennedy said. 
The No. 21 ranked Aggies will return to action on Tuesday at 6 p.m. as they travel to Missouri. The game will be televised on ESPNU.