Women take top 2 spots, seal SEC championship

Photo by Provided by Aggie Athletics
Women’s golf wins SEC Championship

The Texas A&M women’s golf team brought home the SEC Championship Sunday after shooting a historic 13-under par and garnering a total score of 851 over the three days.

The 2015 title is A&M’s first since 2010 and its first as a member of the SEC. With it, the Aggies have now won a total of six conference titles.

No. 13 Texas A&M achieved the lowest under-par finish in SEC Championship history with its 13-under par performance. The team’s 851 score total is the second-lowest three-round total in SEC history.

The Aggies dominated the competition, finishing 12 strokes ahead of second place South Carolina, who are No. 2 in the nation. Vanderbilt, Tennessee and Alabama rounded out the top five, finishing third, fourth, and fifth.

The Aggie women were tied for the lead with Vanderbilt and Tennessee after round 1 with a score of 293. A&M separated themselves from the field in the second round with a score of 277, which was the lowest score of all three rounds by any team. Sunday they continued their excellent play with a final round score of 281 which equaled the lowest third round score in SEC Championship history.

“I am so proud of these girls and how they came through in tough conditions the last three days,” said head coach Trelle McCombs. “They did such an amazing job of being a team this week, everyone contributed and gave it their all.”

The individual champion and runner-up of the tournament both were Aggies. Sophomore Bianca Fabrizio took the title with a score of nine-under par 207, and teammate Maddie Szeryk, who is a freshman, finished in second with a score of seven-under par 209. Fabrizio wrote her name in the record books with her score of 207, tying the lowest 54-hole record in SEC Championship history. She is the first A&M women’s golfer since 2006 to win a conference title.

“Bianca and Maddie were solid this week,” McCombs said. “I can’t be more proud of how they stepped up and played their hearts out.”

The A&M women’s golf team had not finished higher than seventh in any previous SEC Championship and no individual had made it higher than 19th place.

With the SEC Championship title, the Aggie women now automatically qualify for the NCAA Championships. Regionals will take place May 7-9 and the Championships begin May 22. It will be the Aggies’ 15th straight appearance.