Women’s basketball gets sixth straight victory after defeating Vanderbilt

Sophomore center Ciera Johnson led the Aggies against the Commodores with 12 rebounds.

Keeping its winning-streak alive, No. 20 Texas A&M beat Vanderbilt at Reed Arena Thursday night, 69-53.
The Aggies broke their longest conference winning streak since 2016 with their win tonight over the Commodores, and have now won 12 of their last 14 games. Following the win and an Arkansas loss tonight, A&M also found themselves in sole position of third place in the SEC.
The first quarter saw two significant runs by both programs, with A&M starting the contest on an 11-0 scoring run and Vanderbilt going on a 9-0 run immediately after to make it a 2-point game with 2:19 left. After a takeaway, junior guard Shambria Washington stripped the ball from the Commodores and made a layup in the fast break to make it 13-9 at the end of the opening quarter.
“We were really ready to play this game,” A&M head coach Gary Blair said. “You could tell by the 11-0 start and it easily could’ve been 15-to-16.”
Sophomore center Ciera Johnson led the way for A&M in the first quarter with four points and six rebounds. Johnson finished the game with a double-double, 15 points and 12 rebounds and led the team in rebounds.
“The team did a great job in finding me today,” Johnson said. “My team did a great job of finding me and believing in me to finish the ball inside.”
A&M stepped on the gas in the second quarter and never looked back. After a pair of made free throws by sophomore guard Chennedy Carter midway through the period, the Aggies went on another double digit scoring run to make it 33-18 going into the intermission.
Vanderbilt was held to single digit quarters in the first half, only scoring 9 points apiece. The Commodores finished the first half shooting 28 percent, and would never lead in the game.
After the first half, A&M would only make it tougher on the visiting team. The Aggies would increase their shot volume and efficiency, shooting 58 percent and 44 percent in the third and fourth quarters, respectively.
Carter had another 20 point night, leading the Aggies with 21 points on the game. She finished the first half 1-of-8 from the field and would finish 7-of-19.
“I just play to win,” Carter said. “If i’m not shooting the best game, my teammates will continue to find me and eventually it will fall down and that’s what I did.”
A&M would continue to run up the score Vanderbilt and would extend the lead to as much as 19. The Commodores would improve their scoring with 20 in the third and 15 in the fourth, but would not bring it within 10 in the second half.
Freshman forward Brinae Alexander led Vanderbilt with 24 points and 6 rebounds off the bench, while junior guard LeaLea Carter followed up with 13 points and 6 rebounds as well.
A&M hits the road next week to take on Ole Miss on Sunday, Feb 2 at 2 p.m.