Women’s basketball takes on TCU this Saturday

The Texas A&M women’s basketball team passed its first true test of the season with flying colors Wednesday night, defeating No. 14 Duke 72-66 on the road in overtime.

After picking up the big road win, the team now shifts their focus to Saturday, when they take on TCU at home.

The Horned Frogs (3-0), who were picked to finish fifth in the preseason Big 12 coaches poll, feature a potent offense that has scored at least 85 points in all three of their contests. They are led by senior guard Zahna Medley, a preseason All-Big 12 selection, who leads the team in points (16.7) and assists (6.3) assists per game.

The No. 12 Aggies (3-0) will try to build on the momentum from beating the Blue Devils on the road.

Head coach Gary Blair said that the addition of true freshman Danni Williams to the rotation has been tremendous, and that she continues to improve her all-around game along with her three-point shooting ability.

“Danni Williams is just a breath of fresh air, she just loves the game,” Blair said. “She’s finding different ways to score besides just shoot the three. That’s what she’s going to have to do, because once we get to SEC [play] they’re going to find out that [she’s] the shooter, and you better be able to put it on the floor and do other things.”

TCU is yet another team on a tough non-conference schedule for the Aggies and Blair believes that if the Aggies can win seven of those ten games, then they will be in a good spot heading into the conference slate in January.

“By the time we get to Georgia for our [SEC] home opener, I think if we can pull of a 7-3 [record] during that time period and get better and stay healthy, I think we’ll still be a top 25 team going into conference and let’s just see how good we can get,” Blair said.  
The Aggies will square off against the Horned Frogs on Saturday in Reed Arena. Game time is set for 12:30 p.m.