Women’s doubles fare well at Haunted Horned Frog Classic

Photo by Courtesy of Texas A&M Athletics

Freshman Dorthea Faa-Hviding and her doubles partner sophomore Margo Taylor went 3-0 in doubles play on Friday at the Haunted Horned Frog Classic.

The Texas A&M women’s tennis team traveled to Fort Worth over the weekend for the Haunted Horned Frog Classic, its second consecutive tournament at TCU’s Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center.
The Aggies went 6-3 in doubles and 5-10 in singles action over the three-day tournament, facing teams from Baylor, Middle Tennessee State, Northwestern State, Rice, and TCU. The tournament kicked off on Friday with doubles play on the indoor courts and followed with singles matches on Saturday and Sunday on the outdoor courts.
“Overall, I felt we played some very good doubles,” head coach Mark Weaver told 12thMan.com. “We played some aggressive indoor tennis in the doubles and ended up doing well.”
The tandem of Dorthea Faa-Hviding and Margo Taylor went 3-0 in doubles action on Friday, topping two duos from Northwestern State and one team from TCU.
“The singles was a bit of an adjustment to us, going from fast indoor courts on Friday to slow indoor courts on Saturday, and it showed a bit, at least in the first round of singles matches,” Weaver said. “We got a bit better as we continued on in the second round of matches on Saturday and then improved a bit more on Sunday.”
Iulia Ivascu had two wins over the weekend. The freshman defeated TCU’s Elizabeth Tedford 6-4, 6-2 on Saturday, and beat MTSU’s Lidia Burrows 1-6, 7-5, 6-1 on Sunday.
Ivascu also had a doubles win on Friday, coupling with Macarena Olivares to win a match 6-4 against Savannah Durkin and Priya Niezgoda from Rice.
Olivares notched two wins of her own on Saturday over Rice’s Anna Bowtell 5-7, 6-1, 10-4 and Baylor’s Dominika Sujova 7-6, 6-1.
Domenica Gonzalez and Eva Paalma went 2-1 in Friday’s doubles play, defeating both Rice’s duo of Bowtell and Fernanda Astete and MTSU’s Costanza Magazzini and Burrows 6-3.
On Sunday, Paalma defeated Magazzini, 6-3, 3-0.
“We have made some improvements since regionals and our goal is to continue to work hard as the fall season plays out and try to get better and better each and every day,” Weaver said.
The Aggies will round out their fall tournament slate in Las Vegas, Nevada at the UNLV Rebel Invitational on Nov. 10-12.