Women’s golf finishes in a tie for fifth place at SEC Championship

Photo by Provided by Aggie Athletics
Women’s golf wins SEC Championship

It was a promising start for the No. 20 Texas A&M Women’s Golf Team at the SEC Championship this weekend in Birmingham, Alabama. The ladies led the tournament after one round at 6-under par, the lowest first round team score in the last seven years of the event.

It was the final two rounds of 2-over par and even par that decided the Aggies fate. The team ended the tournament in a tie for 5th place with No. 11 South Carolina, each team recording a total score of 4-under par. This was the Aggies’ third straight top-five in this event, and their eighth top-five finish in ten tournaments this season. No. 8 Florida won the tournament at 22-under par.
“It was a tough grind out there, but we finished under par,” A&M head coach Trelle McCombs said on the teams official twitter account. “Any time you finish under par in a tournament, you have got to be proud. Their effort today was amazing. It wasn’t flawless, but it was without fear. I am really proud of this team and the direction they’re going at the right time of year.”

As individuals, Texas A&M had some high finishers this week. Coming off an impressive season, Maddie Szeryk finished in a tie for 5th place at 5-under par. The junior was top-10 in par 5 scoring and holed the third most birdies for the week. This was Szeryk’s third straight top-10 finish and eighth of the season.

Senior Bianca Fabrizio also finished in the top-10, as she ended her tournament at 3-under par in a tie for 10th place. Fabrizio was inside the top-10 in par 3 scoring and total birdies on the week, and finished in a tie for third in par 5 scoring.

Senior Thanya Pattamakijsakul managed a top-25 finish in a tie for 22nd with a final score of even-par. Freshman Courtney Dow, competing in her first conference championship, finished at 6-over par in a tie for 36th, while senior Andrea Jonama finished in a tie for 46th at 9-over par.

It is now a waiting game for Texas A&M, as team selections for the 2017 NCAA Golf Championships, which start with Regionals on May 8-10, are yet to be announced. The Aggies are expected to make the field for the 17th straight season.