Texas A&M infielder Ali Camarillo (2) thros to first during Texas A&M’s game against Louisiana at the NCAA Bryan-College Station Regional Final at Olsen Field on Sunday, June 2, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Camarillo, Aschenbeck selected by Athletics, Cubs to round out 2024 MLB Draft

Junior SS Ali Camarillo and senior LHP Evan Aschenbeck rounded out the 2024 MLB Draft for Texas A&M baseball on Monday as they were selected...

Women’s golf finishes in a tie for fifth place at SEC Championship

Photo by Provided by Aggie Athletics
Women’s golf wins SEC Championship

It was a promising start for the No. 20 Texas A&M Women’s Golf Team at the SEC Championship this weekend in Birmingham, Alabama. The ladies led the tournament after one round at 6-under par, the lowest first round team score in the last seven years of the event.

It was the final two rounds of 2-over par and even par that decided the Aggies fate. The team ended the tournament in a tie for 5th place with No. 11 South Carolina, each team recording a total score of 4-under par. This was the Aggies’ third straight top-five in this event, and their eighth top-five finish in ten tournaments this season. No. 8 Florida won the tournament at 22-under par.
“It was a tough grind out there, but we finished under par,” A&M head coach Trelle McCombs said on the teams official twitter account. “Any time you finish under par in a tournament, you have got to be proud. Their effort today was amazing. It wasn’t flawless, but it was without fear. I am really proud of this team and the direction they’re going at the right time of year.”

As individuals, Texas A&M had some high finishers this week. Coming off an impressive season, Maddie Szeryk finished in a tie for 5th place at 5-under par. The junior was top-10 in par 5 scoring and holed the third most birdies for the week. This was Szeryk’s third straight top-10 finish and eighth of the season.

Senior Bianca Fabrizio also finished in the top-10, as she ended her tournament at 3-under par in a tie for 10th place. Fabrizio was inside the top-10 in par 3 scoring and total birdies on the week, and finished in a tie for third in par 5 scoring.

Senior Thanya Pattamakijsakul managed a top-25 finish in a tie for 22nd with a final score of even-par. Freshman Courtney Dow, competing in her first conference championship, finished at 6-over par in a tie for 36th, while senior Andrea Jonama finished in a tie for 46th at 9-over par.

It is now a waiting game for Texas A&M, as team selections for the 2017 NCAA Golf Championships, which start with Regionals on May 8-10, are yet to be announced. The Aggies are expected to make the field for the 17th straight season.