Women’s golf finishes in fourth place at The Dickson in Houston

Photo by Provided by Aggie Athletics
Women’s golf wins SEC Championship

Just a few hours east of College Station, No. 17 Texas A&M Women’s Golf was competing at The Dickson in Houston. The ladies managed to notch a 4th place, 5-over par finish in a field that consisted of nine of the top-50 teams in the country. The Aggies fell just short of No. 30 TCU and No. 10 Kent State, while No. 3 Florida State ran away with the title finishing 21-shots under par. 
Freshman Courtney Dow had to withdraw during the final round of play due to an injury, leaving the team with no buffer zone to play with. Texas A&M Head coach Trelle McCombs was happy with how her team responded.
“I am proud how the team handled adversity to post a good score today with only four in the lineup,” she told 12thman.com.
It was another impressive showing for reigning SEC Golfer of the Week and 12th ranked player in the country, Maddie Szeryk, as she finished 8 shots under par and claimed her second consecutive runner-up finish. Another school record fell, as her 9-under par 36-hole score is the best in school history. Five of the top nine best rounds in Aggie women’s golf now belong to Szeryk.
“Maddie is playing very solid right now,” McCombs said to 12thman.com. “It is good to see her rewarded with another runner-up finish.” 
A final round 1-over par 73 on Tuesday solidified her 2nd place finish, two shots ahead of SMU’s Brigitte Dunne. Szeryk was tied for fourth in par 4 scoring and second in par 5 scoring for the week, including an eagle.
Seniors Andrea Jonama and Bianca Fabrizio, who tied for 24th and 29th respectively, had consistent weeks, each shooting three rounds in the low and mid 70s. Jonama’s final round 72 allowed her to jump up eighteen spots on Tuesday. Fabrizio’s play was highlighted on the par 5’s this week, where she scored 3-under par. 
Senior Thanya Pattamakijsakul started her tournament slowly with two rounds in the upper 70s, however jumped seventeen spots on the final day carding a 1-over par 73 and finishing in a tie for 62nd.
After yet another strong showing, the Aggies will be taking a trip to Hawaii to defend their 2016 title at the Dr. Donnis Thompson Invitational which will be held on March 14and 15.