Women’s golf finishes in the top five after day three cancellation

Tuesday in Sunset, South Carolina, Texas A&M landed the fifth place spot in the Clemson Invitational after the tournament was cancelled due to weather.
The Aggies, 3-under when the inclement weather hit during round three, concluded the invitational with a 36-hole score of 1-under 577.
A&M finished the event under-par for the third time this season and was in the top five for the fourth time this year in five stroke play events.
Junior Courtney Dow secured a top-10 finish for the third time this season to tie for eighth with a 4-under 140. Dow was tied for sixth place after having six birdies through twelve holes at the time of suspension.
Aggie sophomore duo Ava Scwienteck and Amber Park tied for 26th at even-par 144. Scwienteck was 2-under and bogey-free through round three at the time of suspension. However, Scwienteck still managed to swing a top-30 finish for the fifth time this season. Park has also had recent success, finishing 26th or better in five out of the last six tournaments.
Park led the Aggies during round one by shooting a 2-under 70 and fell short to having the best score in round two with a 2-over 74. Dow was A&M’s leader during round two with a score of 3-under 69.
The Aggies’ freshman Brooke Tyree, a top-ranked recruit for the Class of 2018 in the state of Louisiana, finished with a tie for 57th at 148 (+4) at the Clemson Invitational.
Tyree’s freshman teammate Katie Finley, also a top-ranked golfer in the 2017 recruiting class in the state of Oklahoma, shot a 151 (+7) to finish with a tie for 75th. Finley led the lineup with the second top-25 finish of her career in A&M’s last event, The Bruzzy.
The tournament included eighteen teams with five of the teams being ranked opponents – No. 5 Florida State, No. 7 Vanderbilt, No. 14 Auburn, No. 17 Virginia and No. 18 Michigan State. Augusta, Clemson, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, LSU, Purdue, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Tulane, North Carolina Washington and Virginia Tech.
Micheala Williams of Tennessee and Julie McCarthy of Auburn both received medalist honors at 8-under. No. 7 Vanderbilt won the tournament at 21-under par after performing consistently well throughout rounds one and two.
After winning the Dr. Donnis Thompson Invitational in March, Dow held a 75.08 stroke average coming into the Clemson Invitational, which is the sixth-best for a freshman in A&M’s history.
A&M will embark on postseason play April 17-21 in the SEC Championship at Greystone Golf & Country Club in Hoover, Alabama.