Women’s tennis closes out fall season at Rebel Invite

Photo by Courtesy of Texas A&M Athletics

Freshman Dorthea Faa-Hviding and her doubles partner sophomore Margo Taylor went 3-0 in doubles play on Friday at the Haunted Horned Frog Classic.

In their last tournament of the fall season, the Texas A&M women’s tennis team were defeated in the championship matches of both the No. 1 singles flight and the No. 1 doubles flight, and won the No. 3 singles consolation match at the Rebel Invitational hosted by UNLV.
“The fall season comes and goes very quickly and we have a group that is learning, working hard and preparing well for our spring season,” head coach Mark Weaver said to 12thman.com. “We are all on a mission to continue to improve and ready ourselves for when January comes around.”
Senior Macrena Olivares fell to Aiwen Zhu of UNLV 6-3, 6-4 after reaching the championship match of the No. 1 singles draw.
Sophomore Domenica Gonzalez and junior Eva Paalma reached the finals of the No. 1 doubles draw, but fell to Zhu and En Pei Huang 8-1 to take second place.
Several freshmen players had a strong finish to the fall season. Riley McQuaid won the No. 3 consolation match over UNLV’s Samantha Li 6-0, 6-2.
Fellow freshmen Dorthea Faa-Hviding finished third in the No. 2 singles draw, defeating UNLV’s Anna Bogoslavets 6-3, 6-3, while Iulia Ivascu took down Celina Buhr of Grand Canyon 6-4, 6-4 to finish seventh in the No. 2 singles draw.
“It was nice to see our three freshmen who competed here in Vegas, go 3-0 in singles on the last day,” Weaver added to his comments to 12thman.com. “Macarena also had a very good tournament and has improved a lot since last season to have a very good performance this fall.”
The Aggies will not be back in action until Jan. 6-8 when they will compete in the Hawaii Invitational in Honolulu.