No one involved with Texas A&M baseball ever believed they were going to lose.  Despite being down 6-1 to Tennessee by the end of the...

Women’s tennis takes down Texas State, Sam Houston State

Photo by Courtesy of Texas A&M Athletics

Freshman Dorthea Faa-Hviding and her doubles partner sophomore Margo Taylor went 3-0 in doubles play on Friday at the Haunted Horned Frog Classic.

The Texas A&M women’s tennis team won both matches in Friday’s doubleheader, defeating Texas State 6-0 and Sam Houston 5-2 at the George P. Mitchell Tennis Center.
In singles competition, the Aggies (4-0) went 6-0 against Texas State at and 3-2 against Sam Houston. The Aggies were undefeated in doubles play in both matches.
Seniors led the charge for the Aggies, with all three going unbeaten on the day. Domenica Gonzalez defeated Texas State’s Ana Perez 6-1, 6-0, and dropped her Sam Houston competitor 6-3, 6-4. Macarena Olivares earned a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Texas State’s Julia Navajo-Melendez and a 6-3, 6-0 win over Sam Houston’s Khee Yen Wee. Eva Paalma topped Texas State’s Rishona Israel-Lewis 6-3, 6-0, and beat Sam Houston’s Sahaja Yamalapalli 6-1, 7-5.
The freshmen won all of their matches against Texas State, but two fell to their Sam Houston opponents. In the noon match against Texas State, Dorthea Faa-Hviding defeated Alex Jones 6-0, 6-1, Riley McQuaid beat Joy Chia Ming Ming 6-1, 6-3, and Iulia Ivascu triumphed over Sofia Murcia-Rodriguez 6-3, 6-3.
Against Sam Houston, Faa-Hviding dropped her match against Carrie Casey 6-3, 2-6, 6-2. Ivascu fell to Lusine Chobanyan 6-4, 6-4.
In doubles competition, Gonzalez and Paalma defeated Sam Houston’s duo of Casey and Mila Milanovic 6-3. Faa-Hviding and McQuaid earned a 6-2 victory over Sam Houston’s Yamalapalli and Rosalie Gerritsen.
The Aggies will host Liberty and Stephen F. Austin in a doubleheader on Feb. 3.