Texas A&M infielder Ali Camarillo (2) thros to first during Texas A&M’s game against Louisiana at the NCAA Bryan-College Station Regional Final at Olsen Field on Sunday, June 2, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Camarillo, Aschenbeck selected by Athletics, Cubs to round out 2024 MLB Draft

Junior SS Ali Camarillo and senior LHP Evan Aschenbeck rounded out the 2024 MLB Draft for Texas A&M baseball on Monday as they were selected...

Women’s track finishes 12th at NCAA Indoor Championships

Photo by File

The Texas A&M Women finished ninth out of 13 teams in Fayetteville.

This past weekend, the Texas A&M Track and Field Women’s team competed in the NCAA Indoor Championships hosted in College Station. The ladies managed to rack up 13 points and finish in a tie for twelfth with Mississippi State in the overall standings. This was a vast improvement for the team, who finished in a tie for thirty-sixth in 2016.

The highlight of the Aggies weekend came in the 4×400 relay, the last event of the competition. Sophomore Jazmine Fray (52.15), freshman Jaevin Reed (52.08), sophomore Briyahna Desrosiers (52.35), and freshman Danyel White (51.79) clocked a time of 3:28.26, setting a new school record and finishing in third place. The ladies are now the fifth fastest relay on the collegiate all-time list.

Fray also competed in the 800-meter run, breezing through prelims on Friday. In the finals she made some history of her own by placing fourth, the first female Aggie to place in this event in an NCAA Indoor final since 1983. Fray clocked a time of 2:03.00.

Running in the 200-meter dash on Saturday was sophomore Diamond Spaulding. On Friday she managed to record a personal best time of 22.94 in prelims, snagging the last spot in the finals on day two. Spaulding finished fourth in her section and seventh overall in the final, clocking a time of 23.09.

The sole field competitor for the Aggies was junior pole vaulter Emily Gunderson. The junior managed to clear her first height of 13-3 1/2(4.05) on her second attempt, however failed to clear 13-9 1/4 (4.20) on her next three attempts. Gunderson finished the day in a tie for thirteenth.
With their indoor season in the rearview mirror, the women will look to the start of their outdoor season beginning on March 17 at the Baldy Castillo Invitational in Tempe, Arizona.