‘It’s not a men’s ring, it’s an Aggie Ring’

Photo by Photo by Valerie Gunchick
Men’s Aggie Ring

Two thousand and nineteen women will receive their Aggie Rings Friday at the Association of Former Students. Whether antique or natural, diamond or not, the vast majority will be the slim and lighter profile of a women’s Aggie Ring. One or two, however, will pick up their men’s-style Aggie Ring instead. 

Kathryn Greenwade, Vice President of The Association of Former Students, said last year less than 10 of 13,000 rings were men’s rings ordered by women. 

“We don’t have a lot of women who choose to buy the men’s-size rings,” Greenwade said. “There are two in the November order.”

Patricia Suzuki, aerospace engineering senior, received her Aggie Ring in the fall of 2014 and chose to buy the men’s ring. Suzuki said the Aggie Ring is a tradition that will never change, even in today’s quickly changing campus. 

“It is a symbol — nothing or no one can take away my ring and the time I’ve spent here,” Suzuki said. “It’s not a men’s ring, it’s an Aggie Ring.”

Judith Vincent, Class of 1986 and general auditor for energy company Phillips 66, said most of her classmates got their ring while they were on campus, however she chose to not get her ring as a student. 

“I didn’t want one because the ladies’ ring is very small compared to the men’s ring,” Vincent said. “The Aggie Ring is so beautiful but with the women’s ring it’s so small you can’t see the detail.”

Vincent currently works closely with the Mays Business School. She decided to finally buy her ring this semester when she saw a group of students surprise professor Henry Musoma with the money to replace the Aggie Ring he lost a few years ago. 

“Right then I had a feeling,” Vincent said. “Dr. Musoma asked me where my ring was and I thought, ‘I oughta go get one.’” 

Vincent said she then went to the Association of Former students, where she ordered her Aggie Ring on the last possible day. Vincent said when she looked at the women’s rings, she recalled her three men’s watches.

“I thought, ‘I have to get a men’s,’” Vincent said. “I appreciate the details and wanted the bigger ring.”

Vincent said this May will be her 30 year class reunion, and for the first time she will be wearing her Aggie Ring with her class. 

Both Vincent and Suzuki, engineers and 30 years apart, said the men’s ring makes a powerful statement. 

“The men’s ring is so iconic. It’s a powerful statement of Texas A&M University,” Vincent said. “It stands for tradition, strength, proud tradition, a force to be reckoned with. In the man’s size, it seems to exude that.”

Greenwade said she doesn’t think this decision will become a trend, however there are more women who anticipate buying the men’s ring. 

“The first time we saw that happen, there was some concern that. You know, is this ring for the individual placing the order?” Greenwade said. “Once we saw her try it on and saw that it fit her finger, then we knew that it was for her and there wasn’t a concern about it anymore. We just want to make sure the ring is going to someone who has earned the right to wear the ring.”

Any female student who wants to buy a men’s Aggie Ring must try it on in person. Greenwade said the Association requires this in order to verify they are ordering the ring for themselves, and not for a third party. 

“Whether this ring is in a woman’s size or in a man’s size, it’s the same ring,” Greenwade said.

Suzuki said she has gotten a lot of reactions. 

“People didn’t know women could get the men’s rings,” Suzuki said. “You’re spending a lot of money on it, might as well get the one you want. You’re going to wear it for the rest of your life.”

Suzuki saved enough money over the course of college to buy the ring herself.

“In engineering, I’m around a lot of guys,” Suzuki said. “When I saw them getting their rings, I wanted the same ring as them.”

• Men’s Aggie Rings

Photo by Photo by Valerie Gunchick
  • Men’s Aggie Ring

Photo by Photo by Valerie Gunchick