Paying the Aggie Ring forward

Photo by Courtesy

When she graduated high school, Charlie Mohr, Class of 1986 and member of the Andrews School Board, offered to pay for telecommunication media studies senior Mikenzi Schulze’s ring.

That well-known gold displayed on an Aggie’s finger is what many students work hard and look forward to wearing by completing 90 hours of coursework.
For Mikenzi Schulze, telecommunication media studies senior, this hard work was accompanied with her Aggie Ring being fully paid for by Charlie Mohr, Class of 1986, school board member and family friend.
When Mikenzi graduated from Andrews High School in Andrews, Texas, Mohr told Mikenzi the minute she was ready to order her Aggie Ring, he would pay for it in full.
“As I was walking across the stage, he shook my hand, but then he stopped me and asked if I was going to be an Aggie,” Mikenzi said. “I told him yes, and he said, ‘Well let me know when you get those 90 hours and I will buy the Aggie Ring for you.’”
Mohr is a part of the Andrews School Board and wanted to give back to students from the town that become Aggies, since his father did not receive his ring when he graduated.
“My father was class of ‘62, and he never got his Aggie Ring when he was in school,” Mohr said. “Since my dad never got one, we want to pay for all these kids from Andrews that get their Aggie Rings.”
Over the past couple years, Mohr has stayed in contact with Mikenzi, waiting for the big moment when she got to order her ring.
“When it came around time to order, I gave him a call and told him I was placing my order for my ring, and sure enough he just asked how much it was and sent me a check in the mail to pay for it,” Mikenzi said.
Brandi Schulze, Mikenzi’s mom, said she was thankful when she found out Mohr was paying for the ring and how the gesture truly displays the Aggie values.
“I thought, ‘Thank God’ when I found out he was paying for the ring,” Brandi said. “I thought it’s such a great way to give back to his school and his community.”
Brandi hopes Mikenzi will remember what Mohr has done for her and give back to future Aggies when she has a chance.
“She knew what a big deal it was, but now it is more of a reality that she is getting her ring,” Brandi said. “Now it is a bigger impact, and she realizes the importance of giving back to Aggies and how much they all help each other out.”
Mikenzi said Mohr’s generous gift is a testament to the kind of community a student at A&M joins when they come here and graduate, joining a large community of former students.
“It didn’t surprise me at all because of the Aggie Network and how Aggies help Aggies,” Mikenzi said. “They say you get put in this big Aggie family when you do come to Texas A&M, so I honestly wasn’t surprised.”
Mohr said he is excited for Mikenze and proud of her accomplishment, adding that paying for the ring was never about the money.
“I’m most excited for her to have a ring,” Mohr said. “It’s not a money thing, it’s an Aggie thing.”
After the long work of 90 hours, Mikenzi is excited to put on the Aggie Ring and display her hard work of becoming an Aggie.
“I just know wherever you go if you see a gold ring, it is something special,” Mikenzi said. “It’s a great honor, and I am just very happy to be inducted into the Aggie family and walk around showing off my ring and let everyone know I am an Aggie, because I am a proud Aggie.”