Ring scholarship recipient to meet donors Friday

Hindrik+Prenger
PROVIDED
Hindrik Prenger

When Hindrik “Trey” Prenger, Class of 2016, opened an email saying he was selected to receive a full Aggie Ring scholarship, he assumed it was fake. Tears of joy came after confirming with the Association of Former Students he was actually receiving a ring scholarship from June and Nathan O. Finke, Class of 1970 and Aggie Ring scholarship donors.

June and Nathan O. Finke said they started the ring scholarship in their name a few years ago to help students with financial difficulties. Their scholarship equates of $1,000  is either given to two female students or one male student each year. Prenger is the first male recipient of the scholarship.

“We’re just glad that we can meet outstanding students every year and see them get their ring and some ask us to present their ring, some of them have their parents present their ring, which is just fine with us, we just watch, but some people say, ‘Would you present our ring to us?’ And so that’s what we do when we are requested,” June Finke said.

Prenger’s parents cannot make the trip to Aggieland Friday due to financial reasons, but Prenger said the Finke’s and four of his roommates will be with him when he is presented his Aggie Ring.

“I do not know them. I do not know how they found me out of the thousands of applications that go in. I don’t really know how it all worked out, but I mean, I’m super thankful for it,” the university studies senior said. “I don’t know if it was a God thing or not, but I’m happy for them. What they did blessed me and changed my life so I’m super thankful for that.”

With the Finke’s playing an important role in his Ring Day, Prenger said he accommodated his pick-up time to make sure they would be able to attend.

“We exchanged emails and the Association helped us out too, figuring out a time for both of us and so June and Nathan will be down on Ring Day representing me and also being my substitute parents in a way because my parents can’t afford to come down from D.C.,” Prenger said. “It’s going to be a cool, special moment to meet them and to thank them face-to-face.”

Prenger said he received the email telling him about the scholarship while doing a “Semester at Sea” — a four-month study abroad experience where students take courses while sailing around the world. Prenger recalls the email came in just before the ship docked in England. 

Disbelieving, Prenger said he checked with the Association of Former Students the email was for him. Upon realizing he was actually getting his Aggie Ring, he became overwhelmed with emotion.

“When I found out about this scholarship, I immediately started crying that it was legitimate. And I called my parents and I was like, ‘Hey, you’re not going to believe this, but it’s real,’” Prenger said. “It was very emotional for my family, because at the time, my dad had just gotten a new job, but for a non-profit organization, so financially they still weren’t doing excellent, but they were getting back on their feet again, and so it was just a huge blessing for me and for my family as a whole that they would do this.” 

Parker Lenamon, business administration junior and Prenger’s roommate, said he can not think of someone more deserving of the scholarship.

“Everything Trey does he does with excellence, which is a really cool quality to see in somebody in our day and age,” Lenamon said. “I think Trey kind of embodies that hard working mentality that may have been lost somewhere along the way in our generation.”